Switching from BD Sqaudron Pro to LP4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, when it comes to electronics and all that goes with it, I am a total noob. Meaning Volts, Watts etc. I currently have 2 squadron pros mounted on the cowl with sdhq mounts. I want to move to the LP4s up there. The thing is, I have the 2 squadrons connected to ONE uplifter switch, switch 3. IIRC it is rated at 10A and the lights I have are 2.9A each so no issue on a 10A circuit. Now the LP4s are 5.5A each, bringing the total of both to 11 (insert spinal tap jokes here) which is obviously above the 10A rating. What the **** can I do? Also, anyone with these lights regarding the backlight - do you just wire a wire to the fuse box to a fuse with switched power so the backlight is always on when the truck is on?

TIA for any insight.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, when it comes to electronics and all that goes with it, I am a total noob. Meaning Volts, Watts etc. I currently have 2 squadron pros mounted on the cowl with sdhq mounts. I want to move to the LP4s up there. The thing is, I have the 2 squadrons connected to ONE uplifter switch, switch 3. IIRC it is rated at 10A and the lights I have are 2.9A each so no issue on a 10A circuit. Now the LP4s are 5.5A each, bringing the total of both to 11 (insert spinal tap jokes here) which is obviously above the 10A rating. What the **** can I do? Also, anyone with these lights regarding the backlight - do you just wire a wire to the fuse box to a fuse with switched power so the backlight is always on when the truck is on?

TIA for any insight.

aux1 and 2 are 15A, 3 and 4 are 10A, and 5 and 6 are 5A

you can wire in a relay and use the AUX switch of you choice to turn the relay on, or hook up your 11A of lighting to AUX1 or AUX2

the backlight circuit can go to another switch, or perhaps the running light circuit..

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
aux1 and 2 are 15A, 3 and 4 are 10A, and 5 and 6 are 5A

you can wire in a relay and use the AUX switch of you choice to turn the relay on, or hook up your 11A of lighting to AUX1 or AUX2

the backlight circuit can go to another switch, or perhaps the running light circuit..
so 1 and 2 are in use so that is out. In regards to a relay, that just sits in the engine bay somewhere? Connects to the battery and then the uplifter switch of my choice?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
4 pin relay will hook you right up

With a relay, the only current draw to the up fitter circuit is the power to energize the switch(relay) which is minimal; well under an amp. The actual electrical power comes via the relay from battery power.

so, you will have on the relay
post for battery positive
post for earth/ground
post for the “load” or lights <- this is power from the light harness
post for the signal or switch <- this is the up fitter.

B/D harness should have power/ground and I think another wire - blue? for the backlight.

NOW, if you want the backlight functionality, I’m going to defer, I haven’t bothered with that.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
4 pin relay will hook you right up

With a relay, the only current draw to the up fitter circuit is the power to energize the switch(relay) which is minimal; well under an amp. The actual electrical power comes via the relay from battery power.

so, you will have on the relay
post for battery positive
post for earth/ground
post for the “load” or lights <- this is power from the light harness
post for the signal or switch <- this is the up fitter.

B/D harness should have power/ground and I think another wire - blue? for the backlight.

NOW, if you want the backlight functionality, I’m going to defer, I haven’t bothered with that.
OK cool so the relays just sits in the engine bay like i thought, and is connected to the uplifter AND the lights. The uplifter switch merely sends a signal to. the relay to power those ******* on. Do I have this right? Sorry, I'm totally dumb with this stuff.

Any links to said 4 pin relay? TIA!

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score

theres a bunch of threads on this, but yes..

mount relay under the hood near the upfitter wiring

if you feel this is over your skill level im sure theres a shop nearby to help..

smurfslayer

Reaction score
pretty much. You can use internet search engine of choice ‘wiring lights with 4 pin relay'

a 5 pin helps when you have more than a binary choice -- ex.: I have rear firing squadron sports; they go on in reverse OR with up fitter 6 via a relay.

Get good, weather resistant relays (plural) and then, mostly so we can trigger @The Car Stereo Company, wrap the living daylights out of the entire assembly first with rubber tape, then with electrical tape. :)

Because despite advertisement to the contrary, “weather proof” relays are not.
Lastly, while you’re awaiting your relays - again, plural... read this thread. this installers take on connections
Then read it again because there will be a quiz.

“Only you can prevent truck fires” - @The Car Stereo Company

smurfslayer

Reaction score

theres a bunch of threads on this, but yes..

mount relay under the hood near the upfitter wiring

if you feel this is over your skill level im sure theres a shop nearby to help..
Dude’s in Los Angeles, you want to stand by that bold proclamation ? ;-)