Going Stage 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
Boy Jarret. Well stated
Especially the part about letting the shock do it's part and having the air bump for that last little bit on the Really big hits !

That was the original purpose that brought air bump stops to be a "common thing" some 15 years ago. About the end of Custer shocks, and the beginning of King shocks. Or sometime close.

OP
OP
Pynenut

Pynenut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had some last second thoughts on being able to do this install solo. Someone give me some encouragement that it can be done. I think I have all the tools except for a 250lb torque wrench and maybe a 1 1/8" wrench. Is it do-able? I know I'm going to have to drop the gas tank, how tough is it to drop it and get the filler out of the way? I really want to get this done. Jarrett, please bear with me. I still want to place the order just gotta make sure I got all the tools and am prepared.

TEXAS MOTORWORX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well I had some last second thoughts on being able to do this install solo. Someone give me some encouragement that it can be done. I think I have all the tools except for a 250lb torque wrench and maybe a 1 1/8" wrench. Is it do-able? I know I'm going to have to drop the gas tank, how tough is it to drop it and get the filler out of the way? I really want to get this done. Jarrett, please bear with me. I still want to place the order just gotta make sure I got all the tools and am prepared.

Its definitely doable in a home garage. Do you have a friend that is mechanically inclined that can help? It always helps to have a second set of hands and eyes.

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did mine yesterday,

You will need the 1 1/8 wrench, no way around it. I did not drop my Gas tank, I cut the bolt as my Stage 3 came with a replacement

The kit is very straight forward, take your time follow the instruction video and installation video and you will be good to go. My brother in law weights 248 so putting all of his weight into it sufficed for the torque value, it worked out very well

The Leaf springs are heavy and if you have someone else to give you a hand you should be fine

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread: cut down the pilot of that replacement bolt by about a ¼” prior to installation to have some safety clearance to the gas tank.
I’m 60 and I performed the install by myself so you should have no problems :)

OP
OP
Pynenut

Pynenut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I will just invest in the new wrench and use my grinder to cut off the bolt. I'll just be sure the tank is as close to empty as possible. I'm dreading dropping the tank for some reason. Famous last words, right?

I should be able to crank with all I got to get to 250 foot pounds. My only torque wrench goes to 150 only. I'm pretty handy and have put in suspension mods in every vehicle I've owned so I know I can do this just need a kick in the ass, and maybe a 12 pack.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nah don't drop the tank. Just cut the bolt with a cutoff wheel. Trim the new bolt as said above. Did mine with a little help to steady the new springs. The wrench you can get at a parts store, some stores even rent tools. Real straightforward install. I bought a 250 ft lb. torque wrench, but I needed one anyway. Again maybe a parts store would rent you one. Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
Pynenut

Pynenut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not getting the part about trimming the new bolt. Is it too long or something? I guess It will make more sense when I get the kit.

Yeah, AutoZone rents parts so I'll see if they got what I need. Otherwise, it's always fun to buy new tools

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From Ford the bolt head is on the inside of the frame, close to the tank.
There is room to push the bolt in to allow you to cut off the head with a cutoff wheel.
Installing the new bolt from the outside of the frame has the end of the bolt very close to the tank.
The end of the bolt has a pilot that eases its installation; cutting off this pilot gives you additional clearance to the gas tank.