Factory Damage to Brand New 2017 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbot

Reaction score
Mine had a couple small paint blemishes, not as bad as what OP has. Ford is stonewalling me and my dealer (raabe ford who is 3hrs away from me) is doing the same. My plan is to have my local body shop give me a quote to fix the little crap and just send it to ford and the dealership and tell them they need to figure it out in 2 weeks. I'm assuming they'll continue to stonewall me at which point I'll have an attorney send a letter to both. Assuming that'll get them off their ass.

OP
OP
N

Nibbl3s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are acknowledging it came that way, wouldn't that mean it's less of an issue to get it rectified?

But yeah, if you're expecting a replacement for a paint blemish, you're dreaming at best and delusional at worst. Unless time wasting is a hobby of yours, I wouldn't even bother trying to get a replacement.

I have no idea what to expect that is why I'm am asking you all for advice. I'm just crushed. Now I am out 400 for the unfinished opticoat job as well

CNAIMO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Let me start by saying, I have been lurking here for a little while now, researching and preparing for my new raptor, and i think this is a great community and i hope to be more involved in the future.

Unfortunately, my first post is not one of excitement or joy with my brand new raptor (even though I absolutely love this truck). I have a serious issue, and I would like your opinions of expectations and demands.

I bought this truck a little over 2 weeks ago brand new from a dealership who I will not name yet. It had 60 miles and was gorgeous. I worked out a good price, and went down and inspected/purchased the truck. It was a cloudy day, and I did the best i could under the circumstances (it looked fine).

A few days after I washed it for the first time. Upon closer inspection, I found that the rear passanger window glass had deep gouges within the glass, and a minor scuff on the rear fender. Thinking this was the worst of it, i had the glass replaced (only $240) and i decided to live with the scuff thinking; "if this was the worst of it oh well things happen."

I then took the truck to a prefessional auto detailer to have OptiCoat pro plus installed. Around 8 o'clock at night (he works indoors and prefers to coat at night for temperature reasons) i receive a call from him. He asks me if i was aware the my door had been repainted (he knew the truck was brand new). I said there is no way that is possible. He described a horrible blend job with overspray and obvious wet sand marks on the rear passenger door. He took pictures which I am attaching with this post.

My stomach sank. My immediate thought was that it was damaged in transport and the dealer fixed it. I called the salesman who I worked with who immediately put me in touch with their GM. He is adamant that they did not work on it and it must have come from Ford like that. After some back and forth (I have no reason to believe they are lying to me, but I operate under the saying "trust, but verify") we are notifying Ford tomorrow for a claim.

My question is, what should I demand here? I purchased a brand new truck that was obviously damaged some where and resprayed (I cant imagine the factory doing this....)

What do you all think? I am not going to name any names as we are just beginning this journey, but should I be happy with a door repaint? I feel as the severity if this issue calls for a full replacement. I am now out $400 due to the installation of the optics's coat not being complete as well (only cleaning and partial polishing occurred, door is in original state).

This sucks.

thanks

Colin

Just have them repaint the door. Make sure they give you a loaner to use

Grizlbits

Reaction score
I picked up a 2017 Explorer last fall that had a large (8") paint run in the middle of the front fender. I caught it in the delivery area, but geez, how do it even get out of the factory? I always go over new vehicles with a fine tooth comb in a well lit area at the dealer during delivery from now on. Definitely get that back to the dealer. They need to make that right.

copb8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see no way they'll replace the truck. They really should offer some type of diminished value because when you go to trade it if someone does a paint thickness reading they're going to catch it. That said, I doubt they'll do that either.

You're best bet is a repaint to factory specs, reimbursement for the window replacement and a WRITTEN guarantee of the paint quality for the life of the car during the time you own it.

derekg1988

Reaction score
My early build 2017 had the same issue on the passenger rear door. They only repainted half of the door from the seam line on down, and looked like yours almost identically. Mine was white though, I didn't notice it either until i washed it myself. I had other problems with the truck so I just traded it in on an later build Avalanche grey one, which is way better.

Mine had to be repainted at the factory because I saw it come off the transport truck or painted at the rail road, who knows, but I wasn't happy with it and I just said if I'm going to pay this much money, I want to be happy with my truck.

D

Deleted member 12951

Take it off-road, explore some trails, go to Baja. After all the desert pin-striping and having a ton of fun, the door paint will soon become a thing of the past.

The dealership knew, they are lying, its what they do, they can't help it, its in their mindset. Ford doesn't care either, they will deny the claim as soon as they see it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@Jake17

was that really necessary and did it really contribute to the discussion? Or was it meant to make you feel more fulfilled in your life by ridiculing someone else in a public forum - or attempting to anyway.

OP asked legit questions and asked us for help. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they haven’t been through this before and maybe their life experiences aren’t as vast as some of the more seasoned internet users on FRF.