Did I Damage My Frame/Suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn. I've heard of spot welds breaking on the Gen 1 bed inner strucure up by the cab when the trucks get off-roaded hard. Guess the rivets on Gen 2 are no better. Time for bigger rivets and more glue Ford.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn. I've heard of spot welds breaking on the Gen 1 bed inner strucure up by the cab when the trucks get off-roaded hard. Guess the rivets on Gen 2 are no better. Time for bigger rivets and more glue Ford.
Nothing Ford needs to do. He’s running 37’s and it’s on factory springs. On a stock truck it’s not an issue.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing Ford needs to do.

Are you going to have that same opinion when the 21' trucks with factory 37s and factory springs do the same?

You don't have to defend Gen 2 trucks like they are your wife.

Ford can, has, and will make improvements. Their halo truck ripping itself apart when you upgrade to 37's and do what "it's meant for" - isn't the look Ford is after. We know it was an outlier for now, but it's going to happen more and more.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you going to have that same opinion when the 21' trucks with factory 37s and factory springs do the same?

You don't have to defend Gen 2 trucks like they are your wife.

Ford can, has, and will make improvements. Their halo truck ripping itself apart when you upgrade to 37's and do what "it's meant for" - isn't the look Ford is after. We know it was an outlier for now, but it's going to happen more and more.
You’re blaming the vehicle for a failure caused by aftermarket modifications. That is ridiculous. Not only that, but the truck was by no means “ripped apart”. Manufacturers don’t spend their engineering budgets ensuring compatibility with aftermarket mods, nor should they.

Tne entire rear suspension of the Gen 3 is new. The truck was engineered for the 37” tire package from the factory; they’re not just throwing 37’s on and hoping for the best.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same wheelwell though right? It's still going to happen unless Ford makes the wheewells bigger. Suspension doesn't matter, as there is no suspension when it's bottomed out.

It did rip itself apart. The (oversized but soon to be stock size) tire smashed into the inner bed structure hard enough to loosen the rivets, which eventually fatigued/wallowed out the holes and it came apart on him months later and many miles down the road.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same wheelwell though right? It's still going to happen unless Ford makes the wheewells bigger. Suspension doesn't matter, as there is no suspension when it's bottomed out.

It did rip itself apart. The (oversized but soon to be stock size) tire smashed into the inner bed structure hard enough to loosen the rivets, which eventually fatigued/wallowed out the holes and it came apart on him months later and many miles down the road.
Who’s claiming the wheel wells are the same? They’re going to offer a 37” tire package, therefore the suspension and body will be designed to accommodate the 37” tires without damage occurring.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score

According to your suggestion Papa Ford should also have to deal with the fact that I bottomed out the front of my truck and cracked my fiberglass inner fender for my +2 +2's I have. The Gen 3 rear suspension is a link design and the bed-sides look completely reshaped so I highly doubt that the inner fender is the same as the Gen 2. The new raptor is a re-design, not some home built kit car concept that would reuse parts because the builder doesn't have the resources or engineering team that a massive manufacturer like Ford does.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gen3 with 37s has 1” less travel than 35 truck,
uptravel was probably reduced to prevent damage to the inner fender by the 37