Did Ford remove BOTH sets of crash bars or just the front ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. The Gen 1 is a beast. It weighs 6,000 pounds, the vast majority of it steel. It has a high performance, large displacement V8 under the hood that was designed specifically for the truck and off-road use.

The Gen 2 is an aluminum wanna be, and the competition's commercial showing what happens to aluminum sheet metal when it gets hit by something big and heavy is proof enough. The engine is borrowed from Ford's SUV line, and its performance shortcomings require the use of TWO turbo chargers. Oh yeah, no crash bars. First Ford disbanded the SUV unit, and then they offered the Gen 2. It's not a coincidence.

The January 2017 issue of American Rifleman did a two page laydown on the RAM Rebel, and I think it's superior to the Gen 2. It has a conventionally aspirated 5.7L V8 that makes 395 hp and 410 ft-lbs. Not up to either the Gen 1 or 2, but it makes its power without the need for the additional complexity of twin blowers. It weighs 5,387 pounds and it's steel. 8 speed transmission, 15 mpg city, 22 mph highway. Electric power steering.

If I were shopping for a go anywhere, do anything truck today I'd choose the RAM Rebel over the Gen 2. Thankfully, my Gen 1 real Raptor is crouching in the garage ready to take us to church tonight in 6 inches of freshly fallen snow.

********. I owned two gen 1's. They are great trucks, but the gen 2 appears to be significantly better in many ways. The fact that you believe a Rebel is superior to a Raptor shows your ignorance.

PS: Bill Ruger was no friend to the Second Amendment. He was the source of the Clinton-era 10+ round magazine ban. "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun." - Bill Ruger

Last edited:

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. The Gen 1 is a beast. It weighs 6,000 pounds, the vast majority of it steel. It has a high performance, large displacement V8 under the hood that was designed specifically for the truck and off-road use.

The Gen 2 is an aluminum wanna be, and the competition's commercial showing what happens to aluminum sheet metal when it gets hit by something big and heavy is proof enough. The engine is borrowed from Ford's SUV line, and its performance shortcomings require the use of TWO turbo chargers. Oh yeah, no crash bars. First Ford disbanded the SUV unit, and then they offered the Gen 2. It's not a coincidence.

The January 2017 issue of American Rifleman did a two page laydown on the RAM Rebel, and I think it's superior to the Gen 2. It has a conventionally aspirated 5.7L V8 that makes 395 hp and 410 ft-lbs. Not up to either the Gen 1 or 2, but it makes its power without the need for the additional complexity of twin blowers. It weighs 5,387 pounds and it's steel. 8 speed transmission, 15 mpg city, 22 mph highway. Electric power steering.

If I were shopping for a go anywhere, do anything truck today I'd choose the RAM Rebel over the Gen 2. Thankfully, my Gen 1 real Raptor is crouching in the garage ready to take us to church tonight in 6 inches of freshly fallen snow.

And you'd be an idiot, but it's a free country.

Vince

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Interesting comments.

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow I assume you haven't driven one. Doesn't matter. You obviously don't like it and think your gen1 is so superior

Have fun with it. The Gen1 forum is the other way.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is why admire the Gen1 but not many of it's owners. I know new technology can be scary. Call some of your friends and family on your Nokia flip phone and wish them a Merry Christmas. It will be allright.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:) :) :)

Steel is repairable. Aluminum isn't. Remember the Ford commercials touting "military grade aluminum?" Tell me, fellas, which military grade aluminum did they use? The aluminum they use for the skin of aircraft, the aluminum armor used on the Bradley Fighting Vehicles, or the aluminum they use for the transmission cases of helicopter transmissions? It's all "military grade aluminum." (I'll help you out, here. "Military grade aluminum" tells you exactly nothing about the aluminum alloy in question. It's a marketing gimmick.)

Occam's Razor: The simple solution is invariably the better solution. In this case, if you can make 400+ hp and 400+ Ft-lbs with a conventionally aspirated V8, it's a superior solution than resorting to the greater complexity of twin blowers on a lesser power plant. Fewer components means fewer components to fail, especially ones that get as hot as turbochargers. Look up the price on the Ford Parts site and you'll see what it'll cost to replace a failed Gen 2 turbocharger. Gen 1 Raptor owners will never have to incur that cost.

I could go on, but you might consider that these are legitimate and reasonable criticisms considering they come from an idiot.

Y'all have a merry Christmas, y' hear?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It may have been designed specifically for the Raptor but you could get the same exact engine in a 2014 XLT, FX4 or Lariat.

Of course! Ford invested a great deal in the R&D necessary to develop the 6.2L. And having made that investment, having developed an exceptional truck power plant, it made perfect economic sense to make it available in more than one truck model. The more trucks, the more engines. The more engines, the cost per engine unit goes down. That's good for Ford, for Ford stockholders, and Ford truck owners.

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

This is why admire the Gen1 but not many of it's owners. I know new technology can be scary. Call some of your friends and family on your Nokia flip phone and wish them a Merry Christmas. It will be allright.

New technology? Turbochargers? You're kidding, of course. GM was putting turbochargers in production cars in the early 1960s.

BTW, "it's" means "it is." It's a contraction, don't you know.
"Its" is the possessive form. The one you should have used in your first sentence.

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, now, can you take a photo of the crash bars on your Gen one Raptor and post it on here? This would help the guy out a lot that started the post, maybe answer his question. I understand your point on the Steel vers Aluminum, You being old school, and all, nothing wrong with that, but somewhere you have to adapt and change to improve, is this not what Ford is trying? I am 50 years old and have to adapt to change or I get left behind. Have a Merry Christmas!!