SOS - Front differential grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lstraptor

Reaction score
So i have a 2020 Raptor with 26k miles on it. I took it out on my first off road ride, in may 2023( regrettably now). It has been at the dealership going in circles for 7 months now! My issue Is I cracked my front diff, right down the side, I remember have a semi hard impact on my left front tire broke the bead came in and changed my spare And continued on. On the way home started to hear a droning noise front the left front. Got back home and took it to the dealer. My catalytic converters were throwing a code also when i pulled up to the off road place. So i drop it at the dealer on may 23 2023. Cats are warrantied and some engine oil leaks. That when they discover the diff is cracked and not under warranty. Ok no biggie i footed the bill. About $2500 parts and labor.
They advised for A new housing and bearings and seals were put in with the used ring and pinion.
I drive it and it still making the droning noise. Oh! That ordeal took four months! I got the truck back in September.
After getting the truck back the first time and it still making noise wtith the replaced housing, i took to another reputable shop i use for a second opinion. They suggested the IWEs and check valve. They replace both IWEs and check valve and vacuum solenoid. Assuring they checke vacuum and it holding. Also good to mention. This second shop did not charge parts or labor for the IWEs or check becaiuse it did not solve the problem, the truck it still making noise and after the second shop looking it over for a week, we determained it was the front diff still!

I take the truck back to my dealer in early Oct. they say they’ll reach 0out with what they find, that they are stand up and will own up to anything on their end. A week goes by no call. I call them. oh ya we opened the diff and metal is coming out with the oil. The bearing blew up inside. So now it’s under warranty and they tell me parts are on back order. Come to find out they are one day out of Houston and call them on it and my truck it put back toget in three days after they had it for two months.

i get it back and its still making noise! If i continue to drive it ill blow the pinion again I’m sure. I called ford and they reffered me to another dealer about fifty miles away. it’s been two weeks now and still no response from this new dealer.

Has anyone gone through a situatuion like this??? They are saying my 4x4 is trying to engage in 2wd and thats what the noise is. But no one can tell me why. My first dealer started blaming the tuner and what not and I can’t believe that thats it..

i really don’t know what to do at this point

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
First things first: Pics or it’s a prius.

what tuner? What mods do you have?
Lifted / leveled?

is the droning noise constant, comes and goes, only in 2h or some/all transfer case modes?
Is the noise cyclical or rotational?

OP
OP
L

lstraptor

Reaction score
I have the AP v3 with custom goose tunes.
Mods on motor are turbos, injectors, thermo, boost tubes, cai.
Leveled out with geiser 3 in the front and nothing else done. I was only able to put like 1500 miles on it and the trucks been down since.

The noise is constant. It doesn’t stop. In all modes 2 and 4x4
i would say the noise is rotational (i did have to look that up) but it Just there. when the tires roll the noise is there.

I got the truck at 24k miles, it performed great with the mods and tuner for the 1500 miles I got to put on it. But after i took it out. It’s never been the same.

OP
OP
L

lstraptor

Reaction score
Here’s a pic of the truck when i was tuning it out here

Attachments

• IMG_3937.jpeg
    IMG_3937.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 27

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Post a video. Hard to assist you with a sound by words only. Could a wheel bearing, IWE, diff bearing, transfer case, tires or any number of other items.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Leveled out with geiser 3 in the front and nothing else done
:snoopfacepalm:
I got the truck at 24k miles, it performed great with the mods and tuner for the 1500 miles I got to put on it. But after i took it out. It’s never been the same.
This is what I like to call: “clueful information”.

Like upgrading the stereo, unless you’re doing a full mod on it, putting individual components on can actually make performance worse. We just beat to death the discussion from Keep it Dirty off-road for ******** up the shock mounts because of this. Nevertheless, a 3 inch front lift is actually asking for component wear at an accelerated rate.

With that much tune, it’s an outright miracle they covered the cats under warranty, because again - the cats will fail faster with a tuned truck.
I have to agree with @Nex, maybe hang go pro near the front on both sides and in the cab to gauge what is making the noise.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s the only pic of the whiney raptor. There is another thread, the guy has the same issue and mods. He was advised to go stock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter