2018 Raptor Wheel bearing/differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimAtl

Reaction score
Hi All, new to the forum!

I have a 2018 Raptor with 35k Miles and there is a drivetrain howl from the rear-I think it's the differential or maybe a wheel bearing. Changed the fluid in the differential looked ok, no change.

Jacked it up no play but I can hear a grinding sound on the right rear sounds like Hub area.

Unfortuately I am ignorant about working on these trucks (was hoping not to have to work on it!) but are the rear hubs modular like the front? I was looking on rock auto and only see front hubs for sale.

The noise is a grinding/whining noise starts about 5 mph. Was hoping to change a hub and fix the problem, I don't feel competent to setup the bearings insilde the differential will have to take to the dealer.

Regards, Tim

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if it is coming from the rear it is most likely the pinion bearing is shot - semi common issue and not a cheap fix...

OP
OP
TimAtl

TimAtl

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did finally get them to look at it is the rear/pinion they call it differential rebuild, price $2,800 and no ETA on parts...

Of course high price but are these parts special or are they just standard ford rear end parts?

Gonna check some local shops.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did finally get them to look at it is the rear/pinion they call it differential rebuild, price $2,800 and no ETA on parts...

Of course high price but are these parts special or are they just standard ford rear end parts?

Yeah that is exactly what I thought it was by your description.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

That’s an extremely high quote. Is a few hours of labor and a few hundred in parts.

OP
OP
TimAtl

TimAtl

Reaction score
it's a bit disheartening that a ford truck with 35k miles would have worn out bearings in the differential, must not have been setup correctly.

Are these something special or is it just a run of the mill ford rear end? These parts should be widely available. Thanks, Tim

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it's a bit disheartening that a ford truck with 35k miles would have worn out bearings in the differential, must not have been setup correctly.

Are these something special or is it just a run of the mill ford rear end? These parts should be widely available. Thanks, Tim
Did you buy it new? Stock ride height? It’s a 6 year old truck at this point if it was purchased in 2017. Time is a factor in addition to mileage. If it was set up improperly it would have whined from day one.