Ford Raptors Saves Life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't search before posting this so sorry if it's a repost. I saw an article link when browing the Ford Social site. Thought I'd share since it was Raptor related and not your typical Raptor story.

Source: Ford Social: When I Needed It, My Raptor Was There For Me.

Jim on FordSocial on January 6th said:
When I Needed It, My Raptor Was There For Me.
I thought to share a story about something that happened to us over Christmas a week or so ago.

Like other Raptor owners I’ve taken some good natured ribbing over my Raptor. My neighbors have called it a “Monster Truck” and joke about how they can hear it pulling into the neighborhood even when they’re inside their houses. I’ve frequently been asked why I “needed” the “big” motor. (6.2L) My friends on Facebook universally mock it as “Truckzilla” and I know that, deep inside, they’re just jealous.

This Christmas we were down visiting my wife’s family in IL. She grew up on a farm outside of Bloomington and whenever we make the trip we always take my truck. (This time Santa needed us to lug some boxes around.) I get along well with the in-laws, our son gets to drive Grampa’s tractor and Santa even manages to find us.

Sunday morning after unwrapping presents we were sitting at the table having breakfast when my wife began to slump over the table. She was unresponsive and slurring her words. We helped her to a chair and I asked her to recite the alphabet which she was halfway able to do. When I asked her to make a fist with both hands she could hardly her fingers. When I asked her to move her feet she was able to make them twitch but then seemed to blackout completely. My wife is in her early 40’s and in otherwise excellent physical condition.

The area that my in-laws live in is serviced by a volunteer ambulance group. Once dispatch makes a call the volunteers marshall to the ambulance and when it’s completely crewed they head to the emergency. The wait time can vary.

Unsure of what was happening I made the decision that rather than wait we would drive to Bloomington to the hospital. At the time my greatest concern was that is my wife was having a stroke we needed to act quickly to attempt to get the stroke reversal medicine T-PA into her system. We loaded my wife into the truck and my mother in law and I began heading into town leaving my very confused son with his grandpa.

I don’t normally drive too fast but Christmas morning saw me driving as fast as I dared. (Long straight stretches, thankfully little wind and hardly any traffic.) We were on two lane blacktop the whole way and as we would come up on another car I would flash my high beams and we would pass. (Most of the people we passed were other farmers who recognized what was going on when they saw the emergency blinkers and would pull over and wave us on.) We made it to the hospital emergency room in less than 20 minutes including the city traffic.

My 6.2 Raptor handled like it always has meant to and our weight didn’t make a lick of difference. (I’m 225lbs, the wife in the 130 range and, I’ll deny it if you ever repeat this, my mother in law in the 160 range.) Sync got me 911 dispatching who said to make the drive because it would be too late otherwise. Sync also got me the directions I needed. (Mother in law was busy trying to work with my wife.) Everything that I needed in my Raptor, when I needed it the most, worked.

By the time we got the hospital my wife seemed to be responding again. 6 hours of CAT scans, bloodwork and x-rays and we didn’t have any answers so they released her. Since we’ve been back we’ve seen our regular doctor, my wife’s worn a monitoring harness and we have more appointments and tests coming.

On Christmas, having our Christmas dinner in the hospital cafeteria, my Mother in law and I were trading notes about what had happened. We both had thought my wife was dying when we left the farm and though we were shaken we were both glad about the outcome. At one point she remarked she didn’t think their little economy Japanese car would have made it as quick and she was glad I had my truck. At that point she squeezed my hand and said “Thank you.”

I guess in posting this here I want to pass that along to Ford and the SVT team: Thank you for making the truck that when I needed it the most did everything I asked of it.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn it, I hate being a softie. I'm big on family and certain things in that story reminded me of some situations with my Dad...

Sometimes, I envision my car/truck being human or being some other kind of being that can communicate with me. Does anyone else ever feel bad when you're driving in shit weather, all nice and comfy, warm and happy on the inside while the vehicle itself is getting blasted with rain, ice, snow or whatever the hell else is going on out there, protecting you, doing it's things with all it's systems, monitors and sensors? I do. I think I started doing that after seeing a Freddy Kruger movie involving a school-bus.

Regardless, that's why my truck/car gets treated nicely (most of the time) and why the things that you take care of will always take care of you back. If they don't, they don't deserve to be in your life.

That goes for friends and family, too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vash

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Swoop, I feel the same way. I do my best to avoid hail and other possible damage to my vehicle. If you take care of your ride, it'll take care of you. Problems due to lack or care or maintanence are one thing I never have to worry about. I wanna be able to depend on my vehicle when the defecation hits the oscillation. The Raptor is a well built and badass vehicle for gettin from one point to another both on and offroad.

emahler

Reaction score
That's awesome his wife is ok, but the story was a little disappointing after reading the title. The Raptor got her from point A to point B... on a paved road. Where was the shortcut cross country and the only vehicle that could do was the Raptor or something cool like that.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
That's a great story. The point is, when you need to go fast and need people to get the F-out of the way...the Raptor is the vehicle

Sent from my right thumb using Tapatalk.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
That's awesome his wife is ok, but the story was a little disappointing after reading the title. The Raptor got her from point A to point B... on a paved road. Where was the shortcut cross country and the only vehicle that could do was the Raptor or something cool like that.

I know I expected 2 feet of snow on unplowed roads or something. Still a great story

RV67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great story Vash..Glad to hear a happy ending.I hate it when the tests dont show anything and that leaves you wondering.

And yes they are amazing Trucks.