Yaesu FT-8800R install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to ask I read about this radio and you can only transmit VHF 144-148 frequency. A lot of Raptor runs transmit in the 150-159 range. You can hear them but not talk to them. Is this correct?

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I have to ask I read about this radio and you can only transmit VHF 144-148 frequency. A lot of Raptor runs transmit in the 150-159 range. You can hear them but not talk to them. Is this correct?
There are modifications that can be done to most Ham radios to allow them to operate at higher frequencies. Now, whether that is technically legal or not is another issue....

OP
OP
All The Way

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Legal. No. The only thing I had to do to my radio was remove a jumper that was soldered on.
It also allows the use of gmrs frs and murs frequencies.

OP
OP
All The Way

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, ok.. So what prompted you to get the 8800 over the 7900

The ability to monitor two separate frequencies at the same time is the biggest reason. I can also setup my radio to act as a repeater (cross band repeat). The input frequency can be UHF or VHF but the output frequency has to be opposite band. VHF in UHF out... UHF in VHF out.

Real handy feature if you have a portable and you are within range of the truck.