Yaesu FT-8800R install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
All The Way

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update:

I finally got play around with and take a picture of the 2m Larson PQ antenna. I did some testing with it and it works very well. Was able to work stations 40+ miles away in a urban environment. In rural areas it will have even better range. The reason I picked up this little guy was I broke the dual band Comet antenna racing the truck off road. The Larson is around 18 inches so I should have to worry about breaking it off.
The antenna comes longer then needed. It has to be cut for the frequency range you plan on using. A good SWR meter helps dial it in.

2898.jpg

LARSEN PQ R L Electronics

Since it was almost 60 degrees today I also played around with my HF rig in the truck. Yaesu FT-857D with a Yeasu ATAS-120A antenna. The radio can automatically control the antenna length for the best SWR on HF bands with the push of a button.

NOT FOR USE OFF ROAD....

2899.jpg

Forgot to add that I changed the orange LED's to blue
442.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
All The Way

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This next update will help the guys that have full face helmets.

After searching hi and low I found a push to talk head set that would work with the FT-8800. If you have a portable they are super easy to find.

I found this place in Hong Kong http://www.409shop.com that had one that would work. For $20 it was worth the gamble.

Kit came with a boom mic, a push to talk button, velcro strap for the button and UP/Down Frequency Channel change buttons. I also bought a mono ear bud to hook up to the aux. speaker output.

2904.jpg

The mic in the helmet

2916.jpg

So it doesn't unplug I tucked it behind the other side

2912.jpg

PTT button, this is going on the steering wheel

2918.jpg

Wired and ready to go.

2913.jpg

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
oh man that looks great buddy. i think i am going to have to come to NY to see you to do this lmao. You dont want to see the way i wired my CB hahahaha

centorian

Reaction score
Great work, you sure did a lot of planning and thinking about making a perfect clean job

OP
OP
All The Way

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are several reasons to choose a UHF/VHF rig over CB. No, CB is actually HF not UHF or VHF.

Pulled from various internet sources so I'm gonna quote the entire bit. Feeling lazy today.

The difference is night and day for many many reasons.

CB is cheap, but you get what you pay for. Poor audio quality, mediocre to poor range, and because it's HF, antenna setup is very very touchy.

UHF/VHF audio quality is great. Tone squelch is great (which is basically a specific tone that's transmitted by someone's radio that is unheard by the operator, but tells your radio to break squelch, so you never get that "KSHHHH" static noise)

The ability to use repeaters to talk for much greater distances without relying on skip.

The output power which provides for a stronger signal, and farther propagation. On average 50 wats for VHF and 20 to 30 for UHF vs 5 for CB.

APRS - Automatic Position Reporting System.

Basically you get a radio, capable of transmitting data, hook your GPS up to it, and it sends your location information over the air. (GREAT for offroad adventures when you might get lost or break down) This system has the ability to send distress signals, as well as direct text messages to other users.

Not to mention it's very controlled so it's a much nicer service to use. People are typically MUCH better behaved on the amateur service.

Licensing info for HAM radio usage. Cost $15.. good for 10 years and its super easy to study for and pass.
Technician Class License. You can get an entry level Amateur Radio Technician license by passing a 35-question multiple-choice examination. No Morse code test is required. The exam covers basic regulations, operating practices, and electronics theory, with a focus on VHF and UHF applications.

Technician Class operators are authorized to use all amateur VHF and UHF frequencies (all frequencies above 50 MHz). Technicians also may operate on the 80, 40, and 15 meter HF bands using Morse code, and on the 10 meter band using Morse code, voice, and digital modes. No Morse code test is required.

Sound Quality
Another of the most significant advantages is that VHF offers much better sound quality than HF bands like AM, shortwave and CB (Citizen's Band). This explains why broadcasters use it to transmit high-quality audio on FM radio and some television stations. Many of these broadcasters use stereo sound. Although sound clarity doesn't hold as many advantages for two-way communications, it still boosts intelligibility, which prevents misunderstandings and reduces the need to repeat oneself. The sound quality usually remains uniform at all hours

Interference
Radio interference does not affect VHF nearly as much as HF. This proves especially beneficial for use in vehicles. Many police forces switched to VHF in the past, due to interference problems on HF. VHF offers advantages in rural areas because it can more easily transmit long distances, when compared to UHF (Ultra High Frequency). However, it does not transmit so far that distant stations interfere with each other at night

UHF still has kick ass range compared to CB