Worth Upgrading between 2018 and 2019/20?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tank_jh

Reaction score
Looking for some input for those that have owned a 2017/18 and 2019/20. I'm on my second 2018 and I have an order in on a 2022 but who knows when that will actually materialize. My question is, while I wait (possibly a year given current supply outlook) is it worth upgrading from a 2018 to a 2019/20? My current 18 has every option including the orange accent seats, I've always been curious to get into the Gen 2 blue Recaros. I believe the big changes between the years are seats, suspension moving to live valve, Sync 3, and perhaps some lighting? I'm assuming I'll end up spending $5-10k on the difference in values, taxes, and such. Is it worth it or am I wasting my time? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imho you’d be wasting your time and money. Especially if your current one is reliable. Otoh asking another to gauge what is relevant to an unknown person will yield dubious results. I cannot know your personal wealth and disposition.

I have a 2020 scab I really like. A buddy has a 2018 screw I’ve driven. Based upon this then no. I’d wait 2 years and get a 2024 or 25 and then get a non adm Raptor if I were you.

OP
OP
tank_jh

tank_jh

Reaction score
Imho you’d be wasting your time and money. Especially if your current one is reliable. Otoh asking another to gauge what is relevant to an unknown person will yield dubious results. I cannot know your personal wealth and disposition.

I have a 2020 scab I really like. A buddy has a 2018 screw I’ve driven. Based upon this then no. I’d wait 2 years and get a 2024 or 25 and then get a non adm Raptor if I were you.
Thanks guys, this was the answer I was expecting. I do have an allocation and order in on a 22 at MSRP so I will just continue to wait it out. I have the modification bug real bad so that's more my reason for looking into a change.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But like I said to the other rich raptor owner....if you got 50 bitcoins, who gives a damn. Buy 5 raptors and be happy as a kid on the set of barney.

1648655107028.png

OP
OP
tank_jh

tank_jh

Reaction score
But like I said to the other rich raptor owner....if you got 50 bitcoins, who gives a damn. Buy 5 raptors and be happy as a kid on the set of barney.

View attachment 348591
Well I'm not unhappy, I just know that if I get into the Gen 3, I will never have owned the second half of the Gen 2s. Looks like I'm staying put but I'll hold out a few days to see if anyone that moved from the early to late Gen2s believes it was worth it.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is a 2017.

Nothing ground shattering happened in the 18/19 that makes me want to absolutely discard my 17 and **** on it.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Definitely a loaded question. I have a 2018 and to me, there is not enough to make me want to switch to a Gen 3. I can add a rear 5 link for less than the ADM. The other stuff is lost on me.

But you gotta be happy with what you drive. If you want the Gen 3, I would just keep the current Gen 2, and start a Gen 3 build list. Maybe start collecting universal parts for the Gen 3, like lights.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Gen2 is so damn good already. Best truck I've ever owned. Doesn't take much to make it even better. Ford left some performance on the table.

Get a Gen 1 but keep your Gen2 and take delivery of your Gen3.

Moridin

Reaction score
If money is "no object," then yeah... it might be worth it. A lot of people downplay the live suspension, but for me it's an awesome feature.

Putting the truck in Sport makes it have so much less body-roll in the twisties, you almost... *almost*... feel like you're in a car and makes the driving experience so much more fun on the road.

And the fact that in all modes the suspension is constantly adapting to the conditions, how is that not a pretty cool upgrade?

But once again, it's not a game-changer per se... so only if you got the $$ lying around.