worn tie rods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has anyone replace their inner tie rods due to being worn out? i just got my truck back from the alignment shop after having my upper control arm and steering tie rod end links replaced with RPG. They were trying to tell me that my inner tie rods are worn due to having 35's and the car has around 78k miles. Is it normal for the tie rods to go out so soon on this? It has been taken off road but it hasn't been under excessively extreme conditions. could they be mistaken since the end links and control arms are firm, they said when you wiggle the wheel the clicking you hear is due to the tie rod being worn out. I couldnt' find any thread related to tie rods being worn out so I'm wondering if this is unusual.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tie rods, inner and outer are designed to protect the steering rack, replacing inner or outer tie rods is much cheaper than a rack. be glad it’s tie rods and not the $2500 rack
did you mean 37” tires?

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tie rods, inner and outer are designed to protect the steering rack, replacing inner or outer tie rods is much cheaper than a rack. be glad it’s tie rods and not the $2500 rack
did you mean 37” tires?
Yeah replacing the weakest link creates a new weak link, what stopped me from swapping out mine.