GEN 2 Windshield rock chips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonTexas

Reaction score
Am I the only one that seems to have a rock magnet as a windshield? I’ve never had a vehicle that gets this many rock chips. My other vehicles driven on the same roads don’t get chips anything like the Raptor.

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you say that, about 2 weeks ago, I chipped my own windshield. a rock from one of my front tires got thrown just right... Don’t ask me how that’s possible, but It happened.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't had that issue yet. I had 42K miles on my 2017 when I traded it and have 5K miles on my 2020.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it happens. it sucks.

check with your insurance company. USAA will fill the chip for no charge through safelite.

venraptav

Reaction score
Be careful with Satellite. They just repaired two rock chips for me and cracked my whole windshield in the process. One of the chips was too small to apply the resin so the tech "impacted" it (hammer and small punch) to open up the area - this sent a crack through the windshield.

I found a local windshield shop that replaced the windshield for me. Told him about it and he said they should have A) not touched it because it wasn't actually a chip that broke through the outer layer of glass, and B) he should have drilled it out vs. "impacting" it.

Maybe your local Satellite isn't as incompetent..

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t terribly impressed with Safelite either. I’m going to try to repair my next chip myself.

Schmagagled

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a windshield replaced on my '18 as well...but the thing that really ticked me off was my right front tire throwing a rock at just the correct angle to put a 6" long scratch in the paint on my right rear door. Iremember hering the impact and then when I checked, there it was. So I knew when it happened.

So on my '20 (I traded rather than wait on the parts to come in for the cam phaser, which was taking forever) I got a set of RokBlokz flaps and now I don't even get mud in the door handles anymore.

S.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Am I the only one that seems to have a rock magnet as a windshield? I’ve never had a vehicle that gets this many rock chips. My other vehicles driven on the same roads don’t get chips anything like the Raptor.

Don't drive behind any pickup made by the big three. They're all too cheap to include mudflaps, so they fling gravel willy-nilly, depending on the tires. Windshield replacement is a yearly or every other year ritual in Colorado.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny you say that, about 2 weeks ago, I chipped my own windshield. a rock from one of my front tires got thrown just right... Don’t ask me how that’s possible, but It happened.

I had the same thing happen to one of my company cars about 10 years back. I was on a big open highway with nobody remotely around me and a rock cracked my windshield. I had no idea how that could happen until the owner of the glass shop told me how you can fling a rock out of your own tire. I had never heard it of it before then. At first I was thinking maybe a kid with a pellet gun had shot the windshield.