Why would you not buy a gen 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floyd554

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right in the money. No pun intended. If you’re in the market for a great fricken truck and have the money why wouldn’t you buy a Gen3 Raptor???? Compared to recent prices of used Gen2’s the Gen3 is almost a no brainer considering all the suspension, interior, tech, and minor exterior upgrades. There appears to be many dealers selling for MSRP if your willing to travel and do the work to find one. I really can’t think of why you’d buy a used Gen2 at the moment with prices not far off from a new Gen3.

Floyd554

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, about 2 months before I picked up my new Gen3 I was looking at a 2020 Raptor. It had 3000 miles and fully loaded. The dealer was asking $80,000. I offered $65,000. They laughed at me. Thank goodness they didn’t accept my offer. It ended up being sold for $75,000. I bought my new Gen3 for $74,000. Couldn’t be happier. Just my experience.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not many reasons to be honest. The front end looks better on the Gen2 but that's opinion. Everything else is better on the Gen3 as it should be due to technology. Not wanting to deal with the headache of getting an allocation, vehicle being stuck in limbo of will it or will not be made? About it for me.

fts

Reaction score
  • You don't want to pay for maintenance of an ICE vehicle
  • You don't want to for gasoline
  • Need more torque and hp
  • Mostly drive in suburban areas or metropolitan city
  • You don't like the image a Raptor projects

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
short term-price and availability. More importantly but less people are thinking about-quality control. If you think with a stretched labor force and new model year introduction that there are not/could not be issues, you are fooling yourself.

I have been ok so far but am hopeful and nervous just the same.

Think this will all be sorted by 2023 but look at all the trucks 3/4 built sitting in lots in MI right now. Think people are going to take care to finish them the right way/test them miles from the factory in snow and freezing weather-that is giving a lot of faith and credit to Ford's workers doing stuff the right way....Not saying it isn't possible, just saying it will be harder work.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would I not buy a Gen 3? That's easy--I love my '19 and have no desire to deal with new car dealers and ADMs. The whole process has gotten borderline creepy and this weird car market has revealed how many of them have no shame about taking advantage of it.

I would buy and sell so many more cars if I didn't have to deal with these people.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right in the money. No pun intended. If you’re in the market for a great fricken truck and have the money why wouldn’t you buy a Gen3 Raptor???? Compared to recent prices of used Gen2’s the Gen3 is almost a no brainer considering all the suspension, interior, tech, and minor exterior upgrades. There appears to be many dealers selling for MSRP if your willing to travel and do the work to find one. I really can’t think of why you’d buy a used Gen2 at the moment with prices not far off from a new Gen3.
I agree that if you have no Raptor and are in the market for a Raptor that a new Gen 3 makes a lot more sense than a used Gen 2.

OP
OP
Squeaky1

Squeaky1

Reaction score
I've done a lot of online research on this topic. I would not buy a G3 because it has already been proven in many surveys that the owners of the G2's are significantly (3.84 X to be exact) cooler. More importantly, the average size of G2 owners pe nile units are .201" longer than G3 owners. These are scientifically proven facts, and cannot be debated. :33:
haha!!

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For me it's because I still have less than 32k miles on my '18. I have TONS of mods on it, the G3 doesn't offer anything more than what I've got except for that sexy rear suspension. I really want a hybrid raptor so I'm waiting to see if that ever happens. That would get me to jump.