Who's happy with their cordless ratchet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have to be careful removing the skid plate (with power). Those damn nut clip thingys like to break.

I've been changing my own oil and dropping the skid plate to do it since I bought the truck in 2011. Haven't busted a SPCT (Skid Plate Clip Thingy) yet. My beer powered ratchet has a sensor that can actually feel things like that and back off on the torque. It's analog, not digital, so I have to remember to lube the internals once every ten years or so. Brushless, too.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the old manual style. Also nothing wrong with cutting down a tree with an axe or a hand saw.

Personally, I'll choose a chainsaw.

And when it fits, as my Milwaukee pictured above usually does, I'll have the bolts out and back in and will be sipping my cappuccino on my couch while you're still cranking that handle.

But at least you are burning more calories than me.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loving the Milwaukee cordless line, not having an air hose in the way of the creeper and dragging a greasy hose over yourself while working under a truck is great.

M12 & M18 IN BOX.

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it really depends how often you are gonna use it. I have Snap On cordless impact and ratchet. I love them. They are pricey but I use them everyday so well worthwhile. If you are a "hobbyist" alot of the brands mentioned already will do you fine. If you find a system that uses same batteries as your gardening tools that could add to the convenience factor.

For what its worth, 3 of my guys use the Ingersol 1/2" impact. Nice gun but all 3 of them have experienced failures some point. The electric brake has failed numerous times but gun still functional. Just annoying when taking off lugnuts and the gun keeps spinning. Usually results in throwing a lugnut 10 feet away.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the old manual style. Also nothing wrong with cutting down a tree with an axe or a hand saw.

Personally, I'll choose a chainsaw.

And when it fits, as my Milwaukee pictured above usually does, I'll have the bolts out and back in and will be sipping my cappuccino on my couch while you're still cranking that handle.

But at least you are burning more calories than me.

Shit!! Now you got me thinking that maybe a cordless ratchet might be a good thing to have in my garage.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not crapping on the thread at all, I partly agree with you. I had a pneumatic I used occasionally, but started having issues with it. So using just standard Snap-On 3/8 almost all the time forever. Some of the things on the truck, like dropping the skid plate, would be really nice to do it with power.

Hand ratchets are tried & true, no doubt. But disassembly is where battery tools really shine (I still finish tighten by hand). I have 2 drawers in my tool box with different Pneumatic tools that are fast becoming dinosaurs. Sucks cuz they weren't cheap at the time. Progress??

Think I'll retire to a glass of Bulleit. Peace out

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bulliet? Is that the Steve McQueen movie with the awesome car chase? ;)

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shit!! Now you got me thinking that maybe a cordless ratchet might be a good thing to have in my garage.
They are not expensive at all and so quick to use. You can't go wrong with them. Mine as you see in the pic is not that big so not overly powerful. But most times it's perfect. So quick in comparison. If you've got a long bolt it can take 20 wrist turns with a regular ratchet. The power ratchet takes it off in seconds.

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got the Milwaukee Fuel stuff and love it, sold my big air compressor and tools (i did buy a small pancake from a garage sale to air up tires). The high torque impact will take the lug nuts off a garbage truck. I bought the stubby for convenience and have the 3/8 ratchet as well. They make quick work of a lot of jobs.