GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my struck bone stock i was getting 12.9 beating it around town and now I get 9-10. The tune in normal mode is a little more snappy then stock but not much, sport mode goese from sporty to hang on to something we about to bang some gears. Lol

Ok... sooo , do i understand , there would be multiple maps. During "normal the truck is going to feel mildly better , but in sport mode there will be a different map that will unleash the beast?
If so that kinda cool.

Yeah, normal mode there is a power increase and the trans shifts a little better... but the map they did for Sport mode turns it into a straight BEAST

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well on my way to get breakfast this cold morning I hadn’t gone past 1/4 throttle and when I pushed it to 1/3 throttle it threw a wrench code P130D. Searching the Internet it says Knock issues but the ford Pass app says different.

I did search the forum for that code and got no results, anyone have any ideas? Also I was wondering if it’s true we can’t flash back to stock?

Edit: I cleared the code and drove around a bit and it came back on and cleared it again, If it comes on again i will take it to the dealer. I did however at low speeds under acceleration hear a ticking noise which sounded like it was coming from the axle but doesn't do it all the time. I have this nagging feeling I am gonna be " that guy" that has all the issues.SMH

I also Decided to do a data capture so see what the motor is doing and does anyone know what the Knock numbers mean?? With the other plugs it only went up to .9-1.5 but this morning it was showing 5.9?

Knock means how much timing the knock sensor is adding or subtracting. Its a feed forward system, the knock sensor will add until it knocks, then pull back. It basically works just like the O2 sensors, constantly adjusting timing. It has a 4 deg limit.

Anyone who is running octane booster, most destroy the plugs. But I can tell you, after years of testing and playing on my own vehicles, Boostane is by far, 100% #1. Nothing is even close to it. I run this in every vehicle we have here now. I don't get paid for this, but since we suffer from the 91 octane blues here in Cali, Boostane makes a huge difference. So, if one runs some in a Raptor, the knock sensor will see that its not knocking and will add more timing, thus make more actual HP.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

With my struck bone stock i was getting 12.9 beating it around town and now I get 9-10. The tune in normal mode is a little more snappy then stock but not much, sport mode goese from sporty to hang on to something we about to bang some gears. Lol

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Update on my new updated tune.

Went for a drive and did a data capture for 10min and the knock numbers were back to 1-2, also transmission felt almost stock in feel and shifting. The power felt a tad more peppy then stock but I am not 100%.

I emailed Jeff the data capture and told him it felt stockish and asked what was the difference between the two tunes and waiting to hear back. I guess on the bright side is I have both tunes save on my computer so I can switch back to the other one.

Updated calibration is as followed:
Updated base file to the latest release cal from Ford (Ford fixed a lot of trans issues, etc)
Turned the shutters back on, as we found that guys in -30deg weather were having some running issues at WOT. This change is from 25deg F to -60deg F.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much got confirmation that Ford engineers are behind these tunes like we suspected. My email from Whipple.

“I dont know exactly what was changed

I was told that they were going to re-enable the shutters for outside air temps below 30 degrees they had shut them off completely

we had a guy in Canada with a misfire problem at wot in extreme cold 20 below so they did a little adjustment for that so depending on how cold it is it might be a little weaker than before in low temps

they said there was a bunch of Ford updates that would help the transmission so sounds like that worked

will have the engineer look at the log and see what he says

they didnt say it would be weaker with the new file.”

Lol. Se WE are Fords beta testers. They must be loving the dynamic feedback from us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

Updated calibration is as followed:

Updated base file to the latest release cal from Ford (Ford fixed a lot of trans issues, etc)

Turned the shutters back on, as we found that guys in -30deg weather were having some running issues at WOT. This change is from 25deg F to -60deg F.

This is the updated FP/Whipple tune we are taking about or the latest FoMoCo stock ECU update?

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lol. Se WE are Fords beta testers. They must be loving the dynamic feedback from us.

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

This is the updated FP/Whipple tune we are taking about or the latest FoMoCo stock ECU update?

Ford has made thousands of cal changes and from launch, they have made numerous updates. Our latest adopted all there changes in torque control, shifting, etc.

The other change is for very cold temps. Ford limits power here significantly, we don’t limit as much.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford has made thousands of cal changes and from launch, they have made numerous updates. Our latest adopted all there changes in torque control, shifting, etc.

The other change is for very cold temps. Ford limits power here significantly, we don’t limit as much.

I absolutely love everything about your tune. I can't find a thing to complain about. It 100% factory or better.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Some great info... why would ford chop the power in extreme cold?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the info but it’s total crap on Ford’s part.

So they make thousands of changes because their finished product wasn’t really finished....

And do they bother to tell ANYONE.... “hey we have updated the software, come get your FREE ECU UPDATE”????

NO.

Heck.... maybe with an updated flash the transmission would behave appropriately from the factory.

It’s crap... I’m calling Ford Performance and complaining.