Whipple or Procharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHYUMAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know our trucks are limited to the low 500rwhp level without doing serious mods to the engine & tranny. Both kits make roughly the same power, cost is about the same factoring in the labor. I'm looking for sound, how does both sound at idle? I'll have full SW exhaust with no cats & turbo-S mufflers. Is the Whipple quiet? I want a procharger, but does anyone have a tune worked out yet for it? I'm not looking to pop my engine. I'm also considering doing the Livernois cam with the kit as well. Any advice would be awesome. I'm only looking for 500rwhp...not anything too much over that or something will go boom. I'm really just focused on that awesome COG drive sound with a nice lope tbh, but idk if current tuning capabilities will permit that. :/

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Livernois has done a Procharger on a Raptor.

The Procharger will typically be louder at idle. You can choose 'loud' or 'quiet' gearing but both are apparent.

The whipple is pretty silent at idle.

Both scream under load.

You can control charge temps a little better with the Procharger.

You'll get into boost faster with the Whipple.

It takes some patience and sometimes fab work to get a Procharger mounted correctly so it doesn't eat belts. That isn't to say its a deal breaker, it's just more involved than installing the Whipple.

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly depends on what you want. A twin screw blower or a centrifugal which is essentially a turbo on a belt. Generally twin screws will start to make boost quicker, I had a whipple on my old 09 GT Mustang and loved it. With the same HP I would crush my cousin's GT that had a procharger. Now alot of that is driver but if you look at the dyno sheets you'll see whipple making big torque generally quicker.

But for a raptor IMO it wouldn't matter since it is a truck. Personally I think the whipple looks cleaner and have heard about issues with the Procharger kit. I'd verify that because I am not 100% sure.

As for whine, my whipple had a great whine, not like the gt500's you'll hear but it was quite the ***** generator at WOT. If I ever heard that sound coming from a raptor peeling down the highway I'd probably need new pants.

DarinT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is a the belt driven (supercharger) will develop torque and horsepower faster than a procharger and with a larger vehicle like the raptor sooner is likely better. Whipple has their long tube header tune available now, which should be pretty close to your set-up without a lot of custom tuning.

However, Livernois's cam's would be awesome and they had a youtube video of one loping at idle that sounded fantastic. However, pulling all three together, Whipple, Long-Tube and Cam would need a strong tuner, but would likely get your RWHP number easily while sounding like a horsepower symphony.

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My personal feeling on tunes is that if you are going to invest in a blower, you better have that truck tuned on a dyno. That way you have peace of mind and arent hoping when you are at WOT that your truck is behaving like all the trials. I got mine custom tuned just for headers because with the price of the truck I am not taking any chances. Pay to play.

Not knocking canned tunes because they are great for certain applications but when you are introducing forced induction to a system you make it alot easier to be replacing the block and while a custom dyno tuning session does not prevent that, you are definitely making sure your truck is as close to 'right' as possible.

IMO: Whipple & Custom tune is your best bet. As for cams I have never done a camshaft swap in one of my cars so I can't really inject alot of knowledge there. I will say that I'd make sure you talk to Livernois and see how their cams work with boost. I know some cam sets are for naturally aspired cars only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHYUMAD

WHYUMAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stock internals would be very unsafe at that level!!!!!

Stock pistons are complete crap IMO!!!

Ford tried to save weight and money in the wrong places.

Last edited:

Andy@Livernois

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very unsafe!!!!!

Stock pistons are complete crap!!!

Ford tried to save weight and money in the wrong places. LOL

This is untrue on this truck being unsafe. The truck in this video actually makes LESS boost than a standard whipple kit as we used the standard diameter pulley. By increasing the efficiency of the engine we were able to make more HP while reducing the likely hood of detonation since the cylinder pressure and boost pressure is lower.

Unless you plan on routinely beating the life out of the truck, I would have no doubt of it's reliability. But for those who want to play on the side of caution, we of course could add one of our engine packages to it.