What' your average wait time for service at the dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nolan222

Reaction score
I dropped off my 17 for some maintenance issues (moon roof not opening properly 2/5 times, hard downshift from 4 to 3rd gear and front wheel alignment). I waited two days for the 1st available appointment to be available ( last Wednesday). I was told when I dropped off the truck to expect a call this week. The dealer said they were busy and this is how Ford works. I received a phone call yesterday (Monday) saying there is one more vehicle in the cue before they start working on my truck! Crazy!!!
They had the truck for all this time untouched. The dealer, Galpin Ford in So-Cal, is the largest in the west cost so they have a large service department. What is your average wait time to get work done at your dealer?

Last edited:

patire19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They take forever, i dropped mine off at All American Ford in Paramus NJ to get an oil change. They said it would be ready by 11, i called at 4 and it still wasnt ready till i started to really give it to them and tell them i had to be somewhere. I need to find a new dealer for service they are horrible.

Supergumby5000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Work done" is pretty generalized.

Maintenance? - 8 hours. Drop it off on my way to work, pick it up on my way home.

Repairs? - Dependent on the repair and what it takes to diagnose it.

With that said, I usually ask what their schedule is like. If they want me to drop it off on a wednesday, I would get confirmation that they are actually looking at the truck on that wednesday. No way in hell would I drop my rig off on a TBD basis.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my 2 dealers may take 2-3 days to get into, but the day i drop my vehicle off for service, is the day it gets worked on. I have never been told, they have not gotten to it yet. (same dealer since 1993)

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've used 3 different dealers for basic service, oil change, tire rotation. In all instances I've waited and done my own work in the waiting room. It's taken anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half at most.

I find service centers at dealers, other than for warranty work, to be a place you want to avoid if possible. Way overpriced. An oil change on my former Porsche Macan and current 911 is $450 at every dealer nearby me in NY and CT. At an excellent indy shop, $250. Still high but huge difference.

Worst experience years back was with every Volkswagen dealer service I went to. Each and every one, and I went to at least 4, were terrible. If you asked them to do more than one thing, like oil change and a minor repair, they were overwhelmed and it would take two days, and you were lucky if the repair was done right. That alone caused me to never buy another VW although I happen to like the vehicles.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think most brands are struggling right now due to sheer volume and inability to find techs. I have to schedule 3 months out at the BMW dealer for a simple OIL CHANGE.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My simple maintenance (oil change, tire rotation etc) is done at the Planet Ford quicklane service center and it's normally maybe an hour or two for it to be done. I get "The Works" package and I spend about $45 all in. I have not had to bring my truck in for any major service. My wife had an Explorer and I think it was about two days for them to get it looked at and repaired.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is "the works" package offers across the nation? hard to find similar deal from local dealers....

It should be, it’s a ford deal. But it’s only at Ford quick lane service centers which are usually a separate entity from the main service center at the dealership. The Plant Ford ones in Houston are just next door to the dealership.

OP
OP
N

nolan222

Reaction score
Update : today is the 5th business day and I called my service advisor. He said they needed track guides for the moon roof and the part was out of stock so it should take two days to get it. From there (next week) it will go to the transmission department to look at the hard shifts. I’m a crazy to think this is nuts? Next Wednesday will be two weeks! Two weeks to inspect , moonroof issue, transmission issue!
Stay away from the service department at Galpin Ford in So-Cal!