GEN 1 What would you recommend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TeddyV

Reaction score
Have owned a 13 and 14 Raptor. Looking at a 2010 with 190k miles....but for $13k. What all do I need to replace or have rebuilt in terms of engine? I'd like to put a supercharger on it. What should I do in terms of suspension if I'm using it as daily driver with a tendency to offroad in some pretty rough areas? Is it possible to install new navigation and screen, have interior trim repainted? And what companies would you recommend for all of the above. Also anything at all that I'm not thinking of that would need to be addressed. I want it to run like it's new.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The engine should be just fine, even at 190K. As long as they changed the oil on time, it's got another 190K in it easy. I'd replace the coils/plugs/wires for good measure. If you wnat to be 100% sure about it- run a compression test on all the cylinders.

Stock suspension is fine assuming the shocks are not worn out.

You'd have to go aftermarket with the radio to get nav/screen.

Look over the steering boots rack for leaks.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing to put a Whipple on it like I have and upgrade Exhaust,etc,your going to be looking at almost what your paying for the truck..
I think the Whipple Kit alone is pushing $8-$9K now..and IMHO,putting a Supercharger on an engine with 190K might be looking for trouble....I'd save my $$$
But...when all is said and done....if the Engine is good and a strong runner,and if you can afford it,you will never be sorry installing a Supercharger...its a blast..!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing to put a Whipple on it like I have and upgrade Exhaust,etc,your going to be looking at almost what your paying for the truck..
I think the Whipple Kit alone is pushing $8-$9K now..and IMHO,putting a Supercharger on an engine with 190K might be looking for trouble....I'd save my $$$
But...when all is said and done....if the Engine is good and a strong runner,and if you can afford it,you will never be sorry installing a Supercharger...its a blast..!

People put more money into engines and forced induction systems than the car or truck cost all the time. For example, anyone building a drag car or fun street car from, let's say a Fox body Mustang, is likely spending $15K on the engine and drive train, while usually starting with a car that cost around $5K.

I'd say it's a slight risk to put a blower on a higher mileage engine, but you could argue the engine has proven itself and has shown that it has no out of spec parts that are going to fail, unlike a low mileage or even new engine. New engines in brand new cars and trucks go boom on a daily basis.

There are always plenty of catastrophic engine failures while any car or truck is in full production- then that goes away after the duds are weeded out. The engines with flawed oil pump gears make them selves known in the first few years typically. Look at the ongoing engine failures of the Gen 2 trucks posted here. It's simply a matter of thousands of engines being produced- some are going to have issues. Once those are "out of the gene pool" the rest will likely outlast the vehicle they are bolted into.

tinman44

Reaction score
I have 180k on my 2010 6.2 and besides needing shocks rebuilt (have a set waiting but cant find shop with sufficient torque wrench) all I feel I need to do is replace the plugs and maybe the wires. Not sure how the coils would need replacing as I've mostly heard those are a work/no work piece of equipment. I do have some intermittent issues with my bluetooth but for some reason flashing my computer renews the bluetooth functionality(which I was told was not possible and I was imagining things)

KBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure to flush transmission and radiator. Change all gear box fluids. Change power steering fluid and brake fluid. Like the other guy said,plugs, wires and coils. You may want to redo the drivers seat. I priced complete cover and foam for about 600. Sounds like a fun project!

KBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my plugs at 55,000 miles and I noticed an immediate improvement in acceleration.