What my 2018 M3 and my 2020 Raptor have in common...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the rumor, but I haven't seen it confirmed yet. I can't believe they discontinued the M3 in 2019. Maybe that will make my 2018 more valuable (mine also has the CF driveshaft--I got in just under the wire)? Anyway, they say the 2021 will have 503 hp and either a DCT or the manual 6.

They always have a break, when the new 3 comes out the m versions follow in a year or so.

as far as the RS5 it’s a great car but iTS A FWD based chassis which means about 60 percent of the weight is on the front axle. Not 50/5o like a RWD based BMW

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the rumor, but I haven't seen it confirmed yet. I can't believe they discontinued the M3 in 2019. Maybe that will make my 2018 more valuable (mine also has the CF driveshaft--I got in just under the wire)? Anyway, they say the 2021 will have 503 hp and either a DCT or the manual 6.

They always have a break, when the new 3 comes out the m versions follow in a year or so.

as far as the RS5 it’s a great car but iTS A FWD based chassis which means about 60 percent of the weight is on the front axle. Not 50/5o like a RWD based BMW

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are still selling the M2, M4 and M5. I read the M3 was discontinued due to some regulatory standard they couldn't easily meet for some reason. It's coming back in 2021, and I'm not sure about the details.

Edit: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/f80-bmw-m3-to-be-killed-off-early-thanks-to-new-emissions-test/

Last edited:

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll run contrary to most on this thread. I just don’t like the Raptor V6 sound. It’s the main thing I don’t like about my 2019 Raptor. Rest of the truck is so awesome, though, I overlook(over-listen?, Haha) the sound. The performance is there, especially the torque.

I won a National BMW driving competition in a new M3 Competition and it’s a very capable car and the exhaust wasn’t awful sounding as I think it has an improved exhaust in the competition model, but it’s not the beautiful, pure straight six engine sound like the old E36 M3 or even the new B58 engines like in the new M340i. Those engines rip and sound sweeter to me than the M3 mill.

Anyway, sound is hugely important to me. I also have a 991.2 GT3 with a BBi center muffler bypass and a C6 ZR1 with long tube headers and both of those cars sound incredible.

I hope Ford goes back to a V8 with the next gen Raptor. In the meantime, I’ll still love my 2019, but I’ll just keep the radio turned up a bit more when accelerating. ;)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My buddy is a huge Audi fan and loves the RS5. It’s a nice car to be sure, but it just doesn’t float my boat. Same with the CTSV. I think it’s quite ugly, actually. And I’m really not a GM guy anyway. The Alfa and the C63 were the main contenders, but the M3 won my heart easily. I’ll say this though: the C63 sounds amazing. If that were high on my priority list, it would have come out differently.

Performance numbers and Ring times have their place in the decision tree and make good fodder for car reviews, but ultimately you have to go with what moves you.

Any of you F80 owners concerned w/ exhaust note looked @ an RC-F or LC-F............quite nice

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
The BMW inline 6's sound fantastic. Especially at high RPM with a good exhaust. The V6 Raptor just sounds like ass. It makes a noise that shouldn't come from a full sized truck. No exhaust on the planet can make it better. That said I like my Gen-2 way better than my Gen-1.

obz

Reaction score
Man I had an F82 and I super miss that sucker. Tons of fun to drive but hated being in traffic. Sounded much better than the Rappy IMO, but I guess I have different expectations with a sports sedan vs a truck.

6A8590C8-9848-4043-B9E5-067CD4801C9F_1_105_c.jpeg

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of you F80 owners concerned w/ exhaust note looked @ an RC-F or LC-F............quite nice

That's another one that doesn't float my boat. Nice cars for sure, but I hate hate hate all things Toyota. Will never by one, even if it's literally the best car on the planet for the cheapest price. Just not my cup of tea. Clarkson's obsession with the LFA is a total mystery to me. I think it's ugly, like all Toyotas.

Last edited: