What is the best battery impact wrench?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last time I checked the snapon impact itself is made in the USA and the batterys are japan built. I have several cordless drills and impacts in the snapon flavor but I also use them daily. For the occasional home use I would not spend the money on a snapon

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone has their favorite...it looks like. I had a Snap On air back in the day and it was tough and pretty strong. Now this Ingersoll Rand W7150 could bust it all day long without a sweat. The down side on some of these battery cordless impact wrenches is the battery life and the cost of the battery. The IR battery charges in less than thirty minutes and can frankly work all day long but the battery is pricy. The real question is..........if your just going to work on your truck and not do a lot of heavy work do you really need this strong of a cordless impact wrench. My opinion for what it's worth is probably NO. I have milwaukee stuff and it's good stuff but their battery life is simpy not as great as others. Dewalt makes a fine product but the charge time is pretty long. Kobalt is really a nice unit and seems to hold up really well. If you want Snap On, Matco, etc. you will be loaded down with a price tarriff that I feel is unreasonable for what you can buy on the open market and compare to their units. You pay that price tax on what I think is not worth it for a cordless product. Makita has some charging issues, if you do your research but is also a good unit overall. Frankly, how many times would you ever need 1100 foot pounds of torque like you get with the IR W7150? Not ever if your working on your personal vehicles unless it is rusted frozen from years of being outside. I will say not having a impact wrench is simply not acceptable if you do any work on your vehicles. I will also say most of the top brands (DEwalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Kobalt etc) will give you enough power to do anything you need on your vehicle. Now you have to invest in impact sockets but you DO NOT want to use regular sockets with an impact wrench or you could be picking metal out of your teeth.

Last edited:

SterlingE55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last time I checked the snapon impact itself is made in the USA and the batterys are japan built. I have several cordless drills and impacts in the snapon flavor but I also use them daily. For the occasional home use I would not spend the money on a snapon

I agree. If it's something I use regularly I buy snap-on. If only occasionally I'll go a cheaper route. I'm a bit of a mess when it comes to cordless impacts. 1/4" is Milwalkee, 3/8" is Makita, 1/2" is Kobalt. Can't fault any of them. Ok I'll stop. The coffee is working.

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 18v Dewalt and love it...Worked great on everything I've thrown at it so far!

My Dad has a 20v Dewalt...We used it to take the blades off his Kubota mower this week and they came off super easy. His air impact wrench wouldn't budge them.

Dewalts have great power and are super small!

Glassman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought the Kobalt from Lowes, great price and if I remember right the tool is under warranty through Lowes for five years and the battery is the same. Can't beat that !

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad to see so many folks are enjoying their cordless impact wrenches. I am sorry I was so late to the party. Now.......what impact sockets are you folks using? I try to keep the price down cause impact sockets are expensive. Best I have found for the price is Gray Pneumatics. Any real deals out there on sockets that hold up?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And speaking of impact sockets I have these:

1/2" Drive Impact Socket Sets | Grey Pneumatic >> 10mm - 36mm and only skipping 31mm

1/2" Drive Impact Socket Sets | Grey Pneumatic >> same as above except it's a deep socket

Great sockets!

Everyone has their favorite...it looks like. I had a Snap On air back in the day and it was tough and pretty strong. Now this Ingersoll Rand W7150 could bust it all day long without a sweat. The down side on some of these battery cordless impact wrenches is the battery life and the cost of the battery. The IR battery charges in less than thirty minutes and can frankly work all day long but the battery is pricy. The real question is..........if your just going to work on your truck and not do a lot of heavy work do you really need this strong of a cordless impact wrench. My opinion for what it's worth is probably NO. I have milwaukee stuff and it's good stuff but their battery life is simpy not as great as others. Dewalt makes a fine product but the charge time is pretty long. Kobalt is really a nice unit and seems to hold up really well. If you want Snap On, Matco, etc. you will be loaded down with a price tarriff that I feel is unreasonable for what you can buy on the open market and compare to their units. You pay that price tax on what I think is not worth it for a cordless product. Makita has some charging issues, if you do your research but is also a good unit overall. Frankly, how many times would you ever need 1100 foot pounds of torque like you get with the IR W7150? Not ever if your working on your personal vehicles unless it is rusted frozen from years of being outside. I will say not having a impact wrench is simply not acceptable if you do any work on your vehicles. I will also say most of the top brands (DEwalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Kobalt etc) will give you enough power to do anything you need on your vehicle. Now you have to invest in impact sockets but you DO NOT want to use regular sockets with an impact wrench or you could be picking metal out of your teeth.