What gas are you using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been using 91 octane from Costco. Didn't notice a difference from 87 personally.

On a side note, not to hijack but some say Costco gas quality is poor... is this true? I sure save A LOT of money filling my massive tank up there.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely feel the difference. With the gas the dealer provided, my truck was surging and transmission acted like it was on crack...hard shifting, fell out of gear once, got hung in 6th once. After burning through the cheap gas, I put 93 octane in it and it feels like a different truck. I'm not sure how it would act with 91, but I would stay far away from 87.

Could very well have been break-in miles that made the difference, not octane. And as df4801 said, octane of your fuel shouldn't have anything to do with how the transmission shifts.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

I have been using 91 octane from Costco. Didn't notice a difference from 87 personally.

On a side note, not to hijack but some say Costco gas quality is poor... is this true? I sure save A LOT of money filling my massive tank up there.

Costco is actually top-tier detergent gasoline. Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas

Top-tier depends on additive pack. All gasoline in your area comes from the same refinery or two, just with different additives.

Cost aside, I would fill up at Costco over a Shell or Chevron that doesn't get much business, since Costco has so much turnover that you know the fuel will be fresh and they're much less likely to have water or other sediment in their tanks.

1DXmk2

Reaction score
Do you actually believe that the increase in octane made your tranny operate better???

If so, then I have an improved and updated special edition of the pedal commander that I'd like to sell you. It even improves the steering response and the suspension!

I have no doubt the shit fuel that the dealer put in the truck was causing the engine to surge/lose power/misfire/whatever. Under acceleration and even at constant speed, the truck would lurch consistently...and I assume that the inconsistent power delivery, combined with a transmission still in "learning mode", was affecting the timing of the shifts. I certainly could be wrong about the mechanics of it, but I do know that once I started using the higher octane fuel, the engine smoothed out and I no longer had any issues with the transmission (smooth predictable shifts).

So, no, you can keep your "improved" pedal commander.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jeremyespinoza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that as well and also Sams gas. I always fill my truck up at QT

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

What are the best gas stations to use?

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I heard that as well and also Sams gas. I always fill my truck up at QT

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

What are the best gas stations to use?

I have heard QT is the best from my 'car guy' friends... They really ragged on me for buying gas at Costco but I literally save about $15 to fill up vs. our local gas provider (Circle K). Costco gas is always fresh as the trucks come like every other day. QT is a great place but none around here. I think I will risk the Costco quality for the savings.

OP
OP
J

jeremyespinoza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saving money is key

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Please let me know if you do switch to 87 and feel any differences

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

I might give it a try and use 87 and see if I notice any differences