Well now I know

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oceanbnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and knowing is half the battle...

So, I was driving from the movies in my newish ‘19 Raptor and noticed the indicator lights on the center console next to the gear shift were out. This was also coincidentally the first time I’d driven my ‘19 at night. I figured I’d found my first manufacturing mistake. I was planning to post on here and ask but just took it to my local Ford dealer instead.

Apparently I’m told the ‘19’s lights on the center console (you know - P, R, N, D) don’t light up. I know for a fact my ‘17’s did. Seems like an odd cost savings.

Anyone else notice this or am I alone here?

757Nomad

Reaction score
Ford changed the back lighting on the center shifter in 2018. Only the 2017 and very early 2018 trucks are backlit. There are ways to add the lighting. A number of threads were rolling around in early 2018 with how to's.

Dusty

Reaction score
Yep same here. Driving my 19 at night for the first time a couple weeks ago and noticed mine were out as well. Turns out Ford are just cheap bastards...

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '17 and met some guy the other day with a late '18 build. I know that '17 had ambient lighting with color change options and that in '18 they switched it to only a single color. Something additional I found while poking around in my truck and his, was that Ford reduced the amount of LED's inside the cab for ambient lighting. For example on my '17, there is ambient lighting everywhere - next to the door handles, feet, right above the glove box area. The dude's '18 didn't have the lighting in that many places even though he had an 802a like mine. I know for a fact that he didn't have a spot for an LED near the door handles either. Just kind of seems strange to me that Ford increases the MSRP of these trucks and still takes away small features. Maybe I'm wrong and there could've been an error while building his truck, but the amount of interior light output between mine and his truck were very different.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WOW, between the "extra" LED lights I have on my 2017 and my avalanche grey color...... mine is becoming a collectors edition!

Maybe I will add an ADM when I go to trade it in!

Fitting...you would be one of the small dealers with a single allocation you want to make maximum profit from.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a '17 and met some guy the other day with a late '18 build. I know that '17 had ambient lighting with color change options and that in '18 they switched it to only a single color. Something additional I found while poking around in my truck and his, was that Ford reduced the amount of LED's inside the cab for ambient lighting. For example on my '17, there is ambient lighting everywhere - next to the door handles, feet, right above the glove box area. The dude's '18 didn't have the lighting in that many places even though he had an 802a like mine. I know for a fact that he didn't have a spot for an LED near the door handles either. Just kind of seems strange to me that Ford increases the MSRP of these trucks and still takes away small features. Maybe I'm wrong and there could've been an error while building his truck, but the amount of interior light output between mine and his truck were very different.

I calculated that just switching bulbs (from multi-color LEDs to single color ones) saved Ford between $500k-$1 million a year. The rising price each year is mainly due to the damned Fed's inflation.