WAX for clear coat??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTS RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah! After reading Dan's last post I agree 100% with using the proper materials when washing and waxing your vehicle is essiential.
Micro fiber towels are a must, a micro fiber wash mit for washing and then micro fiber drying towel for drying, micro foam applicator pads for applying wax, micro fiber towels for removing wax, micro fiber polishing towels for polishing and micro fiber towels for cleaning glass (the green ones), especially the lense on your instrument cluster, use anything else on it and you will scratch it. Oh, and don't forget to get California Dusters, the big one for the exterior of the vehicle and a small one for the interior.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Man, great info, The pic of the black SUV looks great! I went to the website looks like great stuff. Do you use thier priemium wax?(I about fell out of my chair $69.95 for a tub of wax?) Does it last that much longer that it is worth the expenes? The rest of the products are normal price for high quality detail products.
I have used the Americana Extensively and it does look great, it has very good durability for a boutique wax (high-end wax for show cars, etc) and even DD'ing it will last a good 3-4 months. One of the main things is that prepwork is imperative to getting a good finish. After I get done buffing and polishing a car I could put on turtlewax out of a green can and make it look better than someone who used Americana on an unpolished older finish. The only way you are going to get 6+ month of real protection on the paint is to use a paint sealant. I absolutely love Adam's Machine wax, it's clarity and reflection are great. I'll add some pictures of it on a vehicle I did.

I don't know about your desert pinstriping, but the best wax that i have ever used is called "Pink Wax" the link fo rthis stuff is as follows: http://www.pinkwax.net/ i have been using this stuff since 2007. I found it at the Chicago Car Show where i was working for that year. i have personally sen it take spray paint off of a cars paint job and not do anything to the clear coat. Good Luck!

Pinkwax, as it appears to me, is a cleaner wax, meaning it has microabrasives in it to help polish and seal the paint at the same time so it is doing 'something' to the clearcoat (in a good way :thumpsup2:) . I would recommend claying to remove overspray or spray paint though.

I use to use Zaino on my 98' Camaro SS, it does good.
But now I just go down to my local wal-mart and can get the full line of Meguires car care products and I think it does just as good of a job as Zaino did.
I just finished the first wash, claybar, cleaner wax, tech 2.0 wax of Meguires procedure on the Raptor and it looks fantastic!
One thing I noticed, even though the raptor has alot of sq. footage of paint to clean and wax it was easier to do then washing and waxing my mustang because I didn't have to bend over as much, much easier on the old back.

Zaino is a bit overcomplicated, even though many people swear by it. IMO Meguiars is about the best OTC product and I use some of their professional line. Doing a good clay bar, polish (even by hand) and then putting wax over that will make it look great.

Used Zaino on a lot of my cars but switced to RejeX as the quality of the shine looks just as good to me for a much easier application process. And it does seem easier to get bugs off the paint.
http://www.rejex.com/

Rejex has some pretty serious durability, probably one of the highest out there. The look isn't as good as some others but it is TOUGH. Get a few layers built up and good luck getting it off without waiting 6 months :hey:

Good info guys....any opinions on Mother's claybar and top coat??

FSM

All claybars in the US are made by the same company because of some bull**** patent which the company doesn't deserve. The claybar is a good one.

Ah! After reading Dan's last post I agree 100% with using the proper materials when washing and waxing your vehicle is essiential.
Micro fiber towels are a must, a micro fiber wash mit for washing and then micro fiber drying towel for drying, micro foam applicator pads for applying wax, micro fiber towels for removing wax, micro fiber polishing towels for polishing and micro fiber towels for cleaning glass (the green ones), especially the lense on your instrument cluster, use anything else on it and you will scratch it. Oh, and don't forget to get California Dusters, the big one for the exterior of the vehicle and a small one for the interior.

California dusters are kind of a hit or miss when it comes to adding micromarring to your paint. I have done a couple of cars that have used them and they all had some micromarring from them, which I don't have proof of but I'm pretty sure came from the dusters. The problem lies without having any lube (lube is always a good thing:tongue:) A good waterless wash product like ONR (optimum no rinse) or Adam's WW (waterless wash) with some high quality microfibers would probably be safer for cleaning a semi-dusty car.

champcaracing

Reaction score
i use clay magic, clay bar, and use gold class wax-ez on ez off, no powder left on paint. use a good car wash, i'm useing some profesional stuff from car brite. or use eagle one wax as you dryafter you wash your truck. helps keeping the truck waxed after washing. but use this AFTER you lay down a good wax!!!

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELP ME Super Raptor!! <G>

OK, here is the deal. If you were to look in Webster's Dictionary, under the heading of "Complete Idiot on Car Finish Care" you would find a picture of me. I have always been one of the "If ya gotta spend more than a dollar at the car wash you ain't doing it right" school of thought guys (Hey, blame my Dad <G>).

I am trying to turn over a new leaf, as I sit and gaze at my Tuxedo Black Raptor in the driveway, one day old and covered in dust and dirt from the gravel roads. I am SO confused by all the advice in this thread... I am sure that everyone is being honest, but I can't decide which way to go. If you... who has received the dubious honor of exceeding Falcon's "This guy knows his Sh*t more than anyone else" threshold... would oblige me by laying out the simplest way of prepping and maintaining the finish on my Raptor, I would be in your debt. I am not afraid of work, such as clay barring, but have abolutely no Idea if and when you should do it... let alone how. Or what to follow it up with.

Can you lay out a simple plan for me??

Thanks,

Falcon

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELP ME Super Raptor!! <G>

OK, here is the deal. If you were to look in Webster's Dictionary, under the heading of "Complete Idiot on Car Finish Care" you would find a picture of me. I have always been one of the "If ya gotta spend more than a dollar at the car wash you ain't doing it right" school of thought guys (Hey, blame my Dad <G>).

I am trying to turn over a new leaf, as I sit and gaze at my Tuxedo Black Raptor in the driveway, one day old and covered in dust and dirt from the gravel roads. I am SO confused by all the advice in this thread... I am sure that everyone is being honest, but I can't decide which way to go. If you... who has received the dubious honor of exceeding Falcon's "This guy knows his Sh*t more than anyone else" threshold... would oblige me by laying out the simplest way of prepping and maintaining the finish on my Raptor, I would be in your debt. I am not afraid of work, such as clay barring, but have abolutely no Idea if and when you should do it... let alone how. Or what to follow it up with.

Can you lay out a simple plan for me??

Thanks,

Falcon

I do not know about the intermediate steps but the first and last step should involve beer:lock: Send some pics of the beast, I want to see it dirty:mrgreen:

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know about the intermediate steps but the first and last step should involve beer:lock: Send some pics of the beast, I want to see it dirty:mrgreen:

<GGG> I been practicing those steps... I got em down Flat! Have to wait 'till I get back home tomorrow to upload some pics Dawg... still at Ma's.

Falcon

jamesdh

Reaction score
SuperRaptor.. what's your take on the NXT wax ??

I plan to clay bar and polish my Raptor this weekend. I would also like to lay down some wax.
I've got some left over Duragloss products.. polish, cleaner, glaze and stuff for a machine (Had a Porter Cable but it was stolen so this will all be by hand)
I want to get some wax on it as I'll be gone for 6 weeks or so and the Raptor will not fit in my garage!

Recommendations?

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for what its worth the best product, best price, ease of use, and best performance... take a try of the ICE product line. I converted a ton on guys on my old GT500 forums who swore by the big name expensive stuff. ICE is easy to use, leaves an amazing shine and protects for several weeks or months of hard weather. I had a triple black vert and used this stuff and my finish was like a miror.... don't take my word, go buy some and try it.... you will NEVER go back to any other product. Oh yea, I am also lazy when it comes to having to detail cars and this made minor work of it... plus living in the desert with hard water, well enough said... ICE go buy and try!

ipoodman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally have to go with SLB8SNK with this one. I have used ICE products from their car soap to their interior care. It is stupid easy to apply and leaves a showcar finish everytime. I have a friend who has been a professional detailer for around 10 years now and he uses ICE on all his vehicles.

I have used ICE to polish up my mustang before car shows, and I get the same quality finish that the other guys have to apply, buff, polish, re-apply, buff, polish their compounds to get. I just don't work as hard as them. :p

Reaction score
i really love duragloss products!!! i use aqua wax, fast clean and shine, and for tires use their tire and rubber dressing..and once a year,wet look clear coat polish.all of the above protect uv rays,acids, road grime, protects all rubber seals very easy to use..i get duragloss at car quest..