GEN 2 Wake up Ford - Locks frozen again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
Time to vent. I consider myself fortunate in many ways. I'm about to retire from a good job that has afforded me the ability to buy my dream truck - A 2018 Raptor. I have a very good friend that is the Sales Manager at my local dealership. I truly feel I got a good deal.

With that said, $72,110 for a vehicle is a lot of money. I got it in January 2018 and it now has 6,700 miles on it. So far I have had three recalls done. I have a service pending on a known issue with rough shifting. One of those recalls was to address the freezing lock issue. TWO DAYS to get that done.

This morning its a nippy 6 degrees with no precipitation of any kind. I have not washed the vehicle in several days so how in the name of God can the driver's side door lock be frozen?. The only way I can lock or unlock the door is with the key.

C'mon Ford. Get your head out of your ass and kick the R & D team into action. The Raptor is a leader in the truck world and you're blowing it big time.

I considered a Silverado with a Rough Country upfit kit when I was shopping. I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice.

Reaction score
Totally agree. I had this happen on my 17 Scab last winter and had to use key to open the door, dealer sprayed it but right away the weather got warm and it was good so didn't know if they fixed it. Fast forward to this winter and it just got cold again, door opens now but then won't latch closed, had to hold the door closed all the way to dealership and then it latched when I got there. It's booked for a fix? this Monday, not acceptable on any modern vehicle, especially this one though! I found this apparently new "Ford Service Action # 18N03, door latch freezing" Maybe mention that to the dealer?

OP
OP
Larry Jeffords

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
Already had that recall done. Rep told me this morning he’s gotten over 40 complaints in the past three days. Ford doesn’t have an answer. Maybe when someone falls out of the the vehicle while trying to hold the door shut. Mine did the same thing. About 10 minutes of heat and it would latch. ******** no matter what you paid for the vehicle.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m going to ask a question here that maybe only you folks living in places where humans weren’t meant to live can answer.

this guy seems to have successfully worked around the issue:

it won’t last though, because wd40 is dubious at best as a protectant.
Has anyone tried hosing the latch down with marine grade while lithium grease?

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup i have had this problem twice now on my 18. my dealer is telling me that this is not a recall by my vin #. it is extremely frustrating. passenger front door both times for me

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for me both times, i cranked the heat as high as i could it was good in just a few minutes. i hate the idea of tearing the doors apart with 2k miles on the truck but i am going to have no choice. i spend a lot of time in far northern NH and Maine and cant be dealing with this problem every time the truck sits for a little while.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad I lived in California! Even going to skiing up in Lake Tahoe I never had the door lock problems. I might starts to spray W40 into the locks just to try to prevent from it happening.