Viair constant duty onboard air system any my eventual solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I remember I was on the same hill, in the same sand as everyone else.

In the eternal words of Sean Connery....from the movie "The Rock" with some changes in venue and characters.

XJR: Are you sure you're ready for this? [Drives up sand dune]

StuckinSandDan: I'll do my best.

XJR: [stops and motions back to Magnatron stuck in sand] Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen!

Never been offroad before, garage-queen driving, almost flipped my Raptor at 1MPH guy is talking smack about his truck not getting stuck in the sand. I love it! :thumbsup:

The truth is your truck was not stuck at the top of the hill like the rest of ours. When we went forward to turn around and drive down the dune we got stuck. And you were LUCKY to see us do that so you didn't drive forward :thumbsup: After you sat there and saw us get stuck when we were DRIVING our Raptors you put your GQ into R and backed her down the hill. :thumbsup:

I said you were lucky. I didn't say you weren't smart for watching the rest of us.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was strongly leaning that way too Dan. But then I started calling around, trying to figure out who can refill these tanks and how much they'd charge. I'd suggest you do so also before buying (not only to find a source, but to consider it as part of your costs involved too). The conversations I had with every single welding supply store I called (three) all said the same thing; they refuse to refill the "Power tank" tank for safety reasons. They all said they would have no problem refilling/trading out approved and "inspectable" vessels designed for CO2 usage, but the Power Tank isn't one of them. Also, apparently, there's something up with the way these are valved and with California law/requirements further making them untouchable (didn't get into detail there).

Ha! I was just about to post that I am now back on the fence because there seem to be issues with getting the Power Tank filled and there's also a non-insignificant cost issue.

I'll be watching your install with interest and continuing to consider the options. This is a great discussion of a very valuable subject (with a lot of thread jacking thrown in there for good measure - thanks Devilguy!)

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan... that compressor I posted will put out as much air as a v belt... plus it can be mounted anywhere. And can be run for a very short period of tie on just your battery (you flatted during a river crossing and your engine ingested water...yeah yeah incredibly unlikely). It is essentially a residential air condtioner compressor attached to a winch motor...

It is rated at roughly 15 CFM.
It can air a 33 from flat to 35 psi in under a minute.
It can run constantly for about 15-20 mins before it needs to cool.

or to put it another way... you could air up 5ish trucks before it got over operating temp (assuming you air yourself up and take about a minute to drive from truck to truck). Couple this with a tank and you are golden... in fact I think this will fill a tank faster than air can come out of it with a standard chuck, as long as the connectors from the compressor to tank are oversized.

Frogslinger: every time I look at this thread all I see is a red-x instead of the pic or graphic you posted. The comparison you posted is excellent (thanks for posting that) but your post's text didn't really explain what you're doing.

Here's a premium kit that'll do most everything anyone would ever ask for but it's very expensive ($1100 or so not including installation) and I don't see anything about a kit for a Ford F-150. I assume this is the kind of kit you're talking about - one that uses a v-belt driven compressor under the hood. I've seen 'em in Jeeps and they work amazingly well. But again, they're very spendy. The compressor alone is about $300 so one could do it for a lot less than a thousand dollars but not many people know what's involved in terms of components or installation so it's not really a viable option for most folks including me.

KE-4000-K.jpg

One other issue I haven't raised and there's no simple answer is, what if you want to (A) use the setup/equipment in another vehicle or (B) you want to sell the vehicle and use it a new one?

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never been offroad before, garage-queen driving, almost flipped my Raptor at 1MPH guy is talking smack about his truck not getting stuck in the sand. I love it! :thumbsup:

The truth is your truck was not stuck at the top of the hill like the rest of ours. When we went forward to turn around and drive down the dune we got stuck. And you were LUCKY to see us do that so you didn't drive forward :thumbsup: After you sat there and saw us get stuck when we were DRIVING our Raptors you put your GQ into R and backed her down the hill. :thumbsup:

I said you were lucky. I didn't say you weren't smart for watching the rest of us. But let's not mischaracterize this episode where everyone but Viper Alley guy didn't get stuck :)

I hope your wife was a prom queen otherwise you just admitted publicly to (A) cheating on your wife or (B) not going home and getting some :mrgreen: or (C) not being a winner :mrgreen:

* This who got stuck and why discussion might just be the biggest thread jacking of all time

Oh and WHAT TRUCK did you drive on the track at the Las Vegas event??? Oh yeah, that's right you kept your truck in the parking lot afraid it was going to break.

Oh wait, and who was the guy who engineered some gay ass magnetic sheeting so your "GARAGE QUEEN" wouldn't get scratched on the mojave road. (it wasn't me)

Check your own thread Sandman....http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthrea...Afton-Canyon-Rasor-OHV-Area-2010-09-18-amp-19

See that blue one there, yeah that's at the top of the hill.

b216900062.jpg

That is MY truck AT THE TOP with the rest of you.

It wasn't luck, the rest of you guys kept driving UP the hill to turn around in the sand.

FACT: you were the one to get your XXXL drawers in a hissy fit and started whining about "I'm so mad at Brian for leading us up this hill, blah blah blah" and wanting to go home early from the trip because you sweated too much from digging your truck out (actually it was Brian who did most of the work!)

I don't know what Viper Alley has to do with any of this, nor do I see the amusement in bringing my wife into this conversation or alleging I cheated on her when it's obvious the quote I made is from a movie.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
If this is a stupid question please don't beat me up or I'll take you somewhere worse than a lil old sand dune...

On Frogslingers link there is an Oasis compressor that you can be intstalled on the vehicle. That requires the use of a tank, correct? Does something like that come with a tank or does that need to be purchased separately?

I wasn't stuck...just didn't air-down enough. Did it on purpose so you wouldn't feel so bad ;)

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The compressor in the above kit I posted is a York EF210R (made by York).

It uses a tank and I'm pretty certain that Froggy's kit would as well.

20-10336.gif

I've done some research and filling the Power Tank shouldn't be an issue here in the state of Southern Government****ia.

I think I can get a heckuva price but I'd need at least 2 others to go in on a "group order". I'm working on it and not ready to pull the trigger. More info will follow in another thread on the subject.

I like the Power Tank because it fills tires VERY fast, works wherever you take it (in any vehicle and at home in your garage), it'll run air tools, it'll work great in the desert, no complex installation and it fills tires very quickly (did I say that already?).

PS: Whether or not BS got stuck is a jack for another post. He did a great job helping us get out but you might want to ask him who led the group into the sand dunes and see what he says.

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have posted this somewhere before but....

I have a York based system in the Jeep - works great. You have to top off the compressor oil every now and again.

I have a PowerTank (which I use for the Raptor). The only downside.... you either have to remember how many tire fills you've done and recharge the tank (or you can weigh it), running out of CO2 can be a PITA.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan you've found a shop that will actually fill your 10# tank on the spot while you wait? Not just swap for a new tank, or send your tank off for inspection and fill (usually resulting in a 7 day turn around time)? I believe there's a local (to me) fire prevention company that will do it for 5# tanks, but nothing larger.

Andy, where do you go to get your tank refilled? While you wait type deal or do they trade?

As for speed... unless all yer buddies fill up as fast as you do, whats the hurry? Gonna be waiting on them no matter what, eh? With a compressor, you can help 'em thereby speeding up the whole process... and not worry about running out of air for yourself ;)

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go to our local welding supply (or local soft drink wholesaler). It usually takes them about 10mins to do - sub $20 for a 10lb fill.