Viair constant duty onboard air system any my eventual solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welp I bit the bullet and ordered a Viair Constant Duty Onboard Air System V/A 10007. Should be here mid next week and I should have it installed a few days after. Just in time for the Oct 1 Raptor Run :)

images.ashx

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing-T...=67&t_s=3&t_pt=100435&t_pl=9636&t_pn=V/A10007

I went this route because I (1) wanted something fairly bullet proof, (2) didn't want a huge tank/compressor combo and (3) didn't want to spend a couple grand.

From what I understand Viair makes quality stuff and they stand behind it. And I've got a local distributor close by in case I need 'em. The tank is a 2.5 gallon tank, and I think we have room up under and on the frame to mount the 150psi compressor and tank together. Nice and clean. And at $400, I'm not breaking the bank.

I'll keep this updated with my progress.

PS: I'm half tempted to go with an air horn after installing this system. :mrgreen:

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a nice kit, i've been considering this as well. The only problem is i usually run nitrogen in my tires on all my vehicles but i think i might have to stick with air on this truck to keep the ability to air up/down when needed. Let us know how the install goes! im curious as to where the final mounting places will be.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hard mount 'dawg.

Unless I should consider otherwise? This is the first time I've added a compressor to a personal truck, so I'm learning as I go. I'm open to any/all suggestions.

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J, I thought you went with the boys to Mojave....we will get them next time. I was looking for a spot to hard mount under the hood but it is awfully crowded.....maybe the compressor under the hood and the tank in the bed????? I had a 59 Dodge Power Wagon and I had the compressor under the hood but you could have fit a volkswagen under there also. Keep me posted, I am interested in this as I have been delaying purchase of a unit until I can see some other ideas.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Couldn't make this one. Ill be out there for the Oct 1 trip though :). You?

I've got a couple ideas but I need the parts in hand first. I'll definitely keep this updated.

wbimota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thing is really what we needed at the desert today!!
We all got stuck in desert and flated tires to get out but only Brian has small one which takes forever to air up all of us.
Everyone on the desert except Tim - he was only one didnt get stuck - was 10 psi for their tires and heading to gas station.
We all said we had to have that thing.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a pair of the 400c Viair compressors. They only have a 33% duty cycle but put out about cfm than the 450c.

I want to fill my tires FAST. The pair could be used with an air tank, but I decided to buy the Viair hose kits. I currently have one wired up with alligator clamps to connect to the battery... It works great! But I plan on hard mounting the pair someplace on the truck...

I didn't air down to 10 psi when I got temporarily semi-stuck (I had aired down to 28-30psi before we left). At lunch, I used the viair to air back up and it only took a couple of minutes per tire to get them back up to 44psi.

I could add an air tank... but for now I think I'll just run the viair's with the special air hoses.... if I ever wanted to use air tools, I could rig up a small portable tank with schrader valves for temporary use.

I also carry one of the little red compressors that Brian has... it's not that slow at all... the problem with any of the compressors is they get HOT and need to cool off after a few tires . Also, I've had that model fail on me before so I definitely believe in redundancy.

zaherachour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Hope ur having fun over there.
J would you explain what is that for?! If I'm correct it's to economize fuel?! Or what? Thanks

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a pair of the 400c Viair compressors. They only have a 33% duty cycle but put out about cfm than the 450c.
I looked into those (as well as a couple equivalent 1/2 or 1/3 duty cycle units). The Viair seemed to be top notch.

For me I like the idea of a constantly charged tank. There are rare occasions where I could use some air the a job site, and one day I maybe might consider running bags in the back to get the payload rating up (although that's a looooong way off if ever).

And I kinda liked the idea of a project. It might be kinda challenging to shoehorn this system into our trucks somehow ;)

J would you explain what is that for?! If I'm correct it's to economize fuel?! Or what? Thanks
Hi Z. No problem!

No, what we're talking about here is "air compressors" and "compressed air storage tanks". Air compressors are what re-inflate your tires when they get low, or what drive air powered tools (like impact ratchets for removing lug nuts, to change a tire), or any number of other things.

A storage tank holds compressed air so that there is a lot of air ready to be used ASAP. You can inflate a few tires before the air compressor would need to turn back on, for example.

So this "system" is a compressor, and a tank and all the stuff that goes along with it to make it work. Its most basic use for me will be allowing me to pull off the pavement, "air down" my tires to enable better offroad handing and ride comfort, then pulling back onto the pavement after the run and "airing back up" right then and there. No need to drive for XX miles to a local gas station; something that with low air can be unsafe at worst, and at best will wear out your tires very very quickly.

Make sense?