**Updated** SYNC Primary USB Relcoation Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
**The factory USB connection has a pressure clip...which is not reusable unless you reattach the factory connection.
**Testing went fine but I did find out that so long as a USB device is connected the Line-In jack will not work...it probably came this way from Ford.
**The reason I did this is because I would rather all of my USB devices be hidden from sight and lockable...to include the cable that would have to be ran to the SYNC plate.

Tools needed: 7mm socket

Items Needed: The connection is a mini-USB to USB-A, both male ended cable. Then I used this cable to run it into the center console. This cable offers greater flexibility with the various tips provided. However you will end up using your female connection with this kit to connection to the mini-USB to USB-A cable thus giving up your ability to run an iPod or any other standard USB-A type device. I have mine hooked up to a 1.5" HDD in an external case which is mini-USB driven. I am still searching for the mini-USB to USB-A female cable.

There are little adapters that can be used between a mini-USB to USB-A cable and a USB extender cable and they run around $4.00. Here is a link (second one down) to the adapters. It will mean that you will run the mini-USB to USB-A male cable to the adapter and then run the USB extender from the other end of the adapter into/from the center console.

You may be able to find the parts cheaper somewhere else, these are merely links provided to show you what I am talking about and what you need.

Requirements: iPod or other harddrive device that is FAT32 formatted. Some MP3 players may not work on the USB port, this is Ford's doing not mine.

Procedure begins: In the center of the dash where the center speaker is located.

Relocates to: Center console

Voice Command: USB

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4-4.jpg

5-1.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Any questions please ask.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Please allow me to ask a couple/three dumb questions to ensure I understand this correctly:

1. The cable to be disconnected from the back of the unit (and replaced with the two USB cables) is the cable that goes to the USB plug in the panel in front of the shifter, correct?
2. The other cable in the back of the unit (next to the one to be disconnected) goes to the line in jack (round plug), correct?

Can a USB hub be used with this unit? If so one could connect a small USB hub in the back of the unit and run the cables to the existing (stock) ports and to the new location in the center console (and one could also be put in the glove compartment).

Thanks

OP
OP
N

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The cable to be disconnected is the cable allowing the SYNC plate USB port to work.

The cable to the right of it is the secondary USB port mod.

I do not know here the line-in jack connects to the unit and did not mess with it.

A USB hub will more than likely require too much power rendering the attached devices useless.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...A USB hub will more than likely require too much power rendering the attached devices useless.

To charge or run any USB peripheral (other than Data) you need a "Powered" Hub. Powered hub ports have a +5 VDC available - in addition to the data trunk access.

"Standard" hubs are designed to run off wall power - meaning they require external power in the form of a AC to DC step-down transformer (wall-wart). But there are models that are setup for DC, and work without the added step of a transformer.

Here are the results of a quick search.

View attachment 79

http://www.digi.com/products/usb/hubport.jsp#overview

• Industrial USB 2.0 hubs
  • Switched USB for maximum performance on all ports
  • 4 or 7 ports in a compact plastic or metal chassis
  • DC powered models can be used with 12V or 24V vehicle batteries
  • Locking power connector
Hubport offers a simple solution for adding switched Universal Serial Bus (USB) ports to a PC, server or thin client. This external, user installable solution plugs into an existing USB port to provide four or seven additional USB 2.0 ports in a compact chassis for instant peripheral device connectivity. The switched USB architecture guarantees maximum performance on all ports simultaneously. Hubport is available in AC powered and DC powered models.

Falcon