Twin Turbo Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The twin turbos behind the bumper that Livernois and H___________ did seemed like that was going to take off I thought. But I hear it's mega bucks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hellion kit with upgraded Turbo's ceramic coated pipes, and good quality turbo blankets, boost controller, plugs and 95lb injectors without install is $11,600, that did not include a tuning device, just the tune. For comparison sake though you could take $1500-$2000 off the price as it comes with headers where a typical supercharger kit does not. Hellion has their headers made by Bassani so they are VERY nice units.

Livernois, and a couple other companies will create a custom twin turbo setup on your truck more as a one off. The rough estimate I have heard is 2x the cost of the Hellion kit. And those are custom tuned by who ever does the install.

Again the challenge there is you really are at the mercy of the installer and the tuner to create a reliable package. For Superchargers I could go to Livernois, JDM, Leathal, VMP, Stanghi, Lund, etc. etc. All of them have done several setups and know these trucks inside and out. You can essentially mail order their tunes and get 80-90% of the max power without having dyno time. That is a huge cost savings and opportunity for more reliability IMHO.
Dennis

BTW, please don't read this as Hellion is bad, its a great kit designed by a great company. I do not think there is another offering today that is anywhere close to what they are doing. I probably would have gone that direction if 1 I could have spoke with a couple references, and 2 there were more than 1 shop who was comfortable tuning them.

Last edited:

SD_Plat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm more curious why company X abandoned development. still no word on that. Moreover, who is company X?

I think we are all aware of the risks associated with installing any aftermarket performance oriented part (or kit) on any vehicle. It doesn't necessarily take a thread to articulate

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm more curious why company X abandoned development. still no word on that. Moreover, who is company X?

I think we are all aware of the risks associated with installing any aftermarket performance oriented part (or kit) on any vehicle. It doesn't necessarily take a thread to articulate

Again...call TMX they can share the catastrophic chain of events that resulted in an engine fire due to their prototype turbo kit, you do not sound convinced of my explanation. I am pretty well versed in the risks associated with upgrades, I was surprised once I saw the installation process a turbo kit requires. My guess is the majority of people like me considering this option would be interested in this data as well.

It sounds like UPP is going to continue on developing a 2nd generation product (based on their thread) that does not route piping under the suspension, but based on talking to TMX it will not be their product. I am not trying to be cloak and dagger, its really up to those companies to publicly share their final intent. I am sharing feedback given to me in several phone calls, consider it second hand information.

Your last comment is misleading, there is a big difference between aftermarket upgrades that are done regularly, consistently and successfully by a range of companies. I consider those upgrades low risk, versus those that are on the fringe. This option deserves recognition, like say a 700hp supercharged upgrade, as being particularly risky.

englishrodder

Reaction score
Well my Hellion TT kit is being fitted next week my a local shop that is totally focused on detail (The build hot-rods...as do i, but due to business travel wanted someone to so this for me)

No crimped wires, always soldered and heat shrink with heat wrap.
:)
Will let everyone know how i get on....

Didn't go with the ceramic coating, rather the header type heat wrap as ive had great results with that.

Thinking about also opening up the hood vents more, that will help with expulsion extra heat.

Plenty of *** high powered Turbo cars have plenty of plastic under the hood, I had a TT 650hp GTR R34 and never had an issue racing that at track speeds then driving home.

Drew@DMP

Reaction score
I don't see why a well designed turbo kit couldn't be functional or safe for that matter on these trucks. I know everyone loves twins for the look, but a well built single for something like the Raptor will function and work very well. A properly sized single won't take much room, doesn't have a ton of piping, and can be braced and shielded very well to keep other components from the heat. Price is another big factor im sure, twin setups are more expensive in the end which will keep buyers away. Hopefully i can have some updates on my truck within the next few months with a custom single setup for guys to put some faith in. I'm glad to see some other companies out there still trying to get some in the works

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think in principle a turbo or tt kit is perfect for a factory vehicle that wants more performance. Given ford stuffed its largest gas v8 into the smallest form factor it would fit in, (truck wise) it takes a lot of heat protection to make it work. Add to that the fact most Raptor owners run their trucks much harder than average, jumping, hard off road etc, you have a risky combination.
In reality we are just at the beginning of this market. When I was at SEMA November 2010 with my 10 6.2, there were little or none (I can't remember talking to any) who were planning on building a supercharger kit. In all fairness Roush and Whipple were not there. Somewhere before I bought my 13 the kits came available, but even at SEMA 12 there were not many if any to talk to. Last year at SEMA 13 Roush was in the 4x4 section, and now you have a few different options. There are kits out there today as we discussed previously, but you certainly do not have the choices of tuners you do for turbo as you do supercharged.

Having driven a well tuned Roush for the last few years, I want another power adder and I am not ready to wait. Maybe the 16 Raptor with a 5.0 will bring more options, if its a Ecoboost, I will likely be driving my 14 6.2 for a few more years.
Dennis

Fazio92

Reaction score
Well my Hellion TT kit is being fitted next week my a local shop that is totally focused on detail (The build hot-rods...as do i, but due to business travel wanted someone to so this for me)

No crimped wires, always soldered and heat shrink with heat wrap.
:)
Will let everyone know how i get on....

Didn't go with the ceramic coating, rather the header type heat wrap as ive had great results with that.

Thinking about also opening up the hood vents more, that will help with expulsion extra heat.

Plenty of *** high powered Turbo cars have plenty of plastic under the hood, I had a TT 650hp GTR R34 and never had an issue racing that at track speeds then driving home.

Any update on the Hellion kit? Seems like your the only one in process of this install and would love to hear your opinion on it.

Thanks!

englishrodder

Reaction score
Any update on the Hellion kit? Seems like your the only one in process of this install and would love to hear your opinion on it.

Thanks!

I actually love the kit, its going in again this week with the new Bassini Y-pipe that removes the CATs.

Removing the CATs should significantly speed up the spooling, plus we are going to up the PSI.
The initial runs were 495 RWHP and 536 TQ with 6.2 PSI (Im also at 5,400ft above sea level)
Super smooth to drive now, nice shift patterns.

The actual kit is very well made, but the headers are a pain in the ass to fit as its super tight. I also added a lot of extra heat tape and shields to be safe. Plus im fitting in a plumbed in fire extinguisher kit...not because on the TT kit, I just dont want all my cash going up in smoke at any time!!

Fazio92

Reaction score
I actually love the kit, its going in again this week with the new Bassini Y-pipe that removes the CATs.

Removing the CATs should significantly speed up the spooling, plus we are going to up the PSI.
The initial runs were 495 RWHP and 536 TQ with 6.2 PSI (Im also at 5,400ft above sea level)
Super smooth to drive now, nice shift patterns.

The actual kit is very well made, but the headers are a pain in the ass to fit as its super tight. I also added a lot of extra heat tape and shields to be safe. Plus im fitting in a plumbed in fire extinguisher kit...not because on the TT kit, I just dont want all my cash going up in smoke at any time!!

Awesome, thanks for the update! Could you post some pics and vids? Would love to see it in action as there are only vids of it on the dyno online....