Truck got totaled help w/ value?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Licensed auto adjuster here. Depending on what state you live in, insurance companies absolutely do factor in estimated salvage value when decided to repair or total a vehicle. Some states don’t allow that to be factored.
Thanks for your professional input. At what point or percentage of the cost of repair vs the value of truck do they usually consider it a total loss? And who determines the value of the truck?

If the truck is worth $55k and needs roughly $25k in repairs plus a rental and any other incidentals and since it is her insurance company that is footing the bill assuming she was 100% at fault would they consider it totaled? I know you had said every state is different so that just makes it even harder to figure out, and at what point would his own insurance step in and contribute funds, if any towards the repair? Would that cause his rates to go up if that was the case? Sorry to blast you with all of the questions

NoReason59

Reaction score
Thanks for your professional input. At what point or percentage of the cost of repair vs the value of truck do they usually consider it a total loss? And who determines the value of the truck?

If the truck is worth $55k and needs roughly $25k in repairs plus a rental and any other incidentals and since it is her insurance company that is footing the bill assuming she was 100% at fault would they consider it totaled? I know you had said every state is different so that just makes it even harder to figure out, and at what point would his own insurance step in and contribute funds, if any towards the repair? Would that cause his rates to go up if that was the case? Sorry to blast you with all of the questions

No need to apologize.

In the states that I handle, repair vs. total comes down to: Cost to repair + estimated diminished value + estimated rental costs (loss of use) vs. Actual cash value + estimated salvage recovery.

The nature of these trucks because their value is so high tend to have a high salvage recovery provided the damage isn’t severe. ~$30k in repairs and ~$25k in salvage value and you’re pretty close to a total loss.

Most major insurers use CCC or Mitchell both to write estimates and run valuation reports. The concept is the same. I’ll speak to CCC because that is what my company uses and I am most familiar with. When valuing a totaled vehicle, CCC looks for comparable vehicles in the owner’s market area. Certain vehicles can have drastically different values depending on where you live. Additionally, no two vehicles are exactly the same so you’re going to see some line item dollar adjustments. Obviously a vehicle with more premium features and options is going to be more valuable than a base model. Mileage and condition is considered as well. For a new or newer vehicle, my professional opinion is that their condition should never be considered anything other than “average” unless it was really poorly cared for. Why? Because I expect a new vehicle to look new, so that is average. I expect a 20 year old vehicle to look like it has 20 years of wear, so that is average. On the other hand, if a 2018 is beat to hell (excluding the collision damage) I’m going to rate it below average because that isn’t how I expect it to look. Same with a 20 year old vehicle if it looks well kept and taken care of. I’m going to rate that as above average from what I would expect it to look like.

From there CCC pulls comparable vehicles in the market area. They exclude outliers on both ends of the spectrum. This means that vehicles severely under and overpriced are not considered. It’s looking for that sweet spot middle. What are the vast majority of this particular loss vehicle being sold for. That’s what they’re after to determine value.

I want to answer your other questions before I go off on my tangent.

It won’t and shouldn’t be a combination of payments between two insurance companies. Only one of them will foot the bill at the end of the day. If the OP’s insurance company handles the damages, they will subrogate (seek recovery from) the at fault insurer.

Whether or not the OP’s premiums are negatively impacted will be based on the underwriting philosophy of his insurer regardless of fault. Insurance is about risk. Thousands of different factors determine our risk. What type of vehicles we drive, our driving habits, our driving history, what types of accidents we’re involved in, how severe those accidents are, where we live, the other drivers around us, etc. all determine risk. Some insurers will not raise your premiums for one accident that is not your fault. Others will because they consider you a higher risk. If you get rear ended 5 times in a month and none of those accidents are your fault, you might still expect your premiums to increase because something is going on with you to put you more at risk than the average driver to be rear ended.

My most important advice to anyone still reading by this point is to add “new car replacement” or “car replacement assistance” to your own auto policy if your insurer offers it. I have it for my Limited and it gives me 20% on top of the ACV (actual cash value) if my truck is totaled. So if I’m involved in the same accident as the OP tomorrow and my truck is totaled, if my ACV is $60k I’m getting an additional $12k (20%) towards my total loss. That’s on top of the sales tax and applicable DMV fees the insurance company owes me. For ~$10 per month I could get an additional $12k that puts me ahead of what I paid for the truck. It may never happen, and I might not ever need the coverage, but I would be kicking myself if I didn’t have it.

kskr

Reaction score
my buddy recently sold his ‘96 GS convertible w/ M6 tranny....basically the “holy grail” of C4s aside from the ZR1 (which personally is the only C4 I’d consider owning) - believe me - there’s a helluva lot of difference between a C4 & any semblance of a modern performance car, the leap to the C5 was dramatic. The difference between a C5 & C6 though? Not so much other than headlights & the 6 speed automatic, the difference in rigidity alone is huge & immediately noticeable. Also- C4/C5/C6 - theyre all getting old @ this point, but another big change from C4 gen to the C5/C6 was better electronics & thats already a pita to begin w/ on these cars lol

good luck w/ that search either way

heading out to empty the truck out & get plates will get a better look @ it not sure yet if it’ll be totaled but the ins co is certainly acting as if

Did it get totaled?

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes set we are definitely in the same club along with goblues38
Since then several things have happened year by year by year.

THREADHIJACK THREADHIJACK

#METOO #METOO !!!!! I got rear-ended by an Amtrack doing 78mph......don't ask I was on a dirtbike riding down the side of the tracks. I broke my neck in 2 places, you can see the piece hanging off, C4-5-6-7-T1 fuse, broke my hip to put my leg back together, lacerated liver, broke both shoulders, broke L thumb, concussion--broke my helmet.

I spent several months in the hospital, stroke rehab center, assisted living for a while, a year in a wheelchair learning to walk and when I got home my friends had that T-shirt waiting for me!

2011-05-19 10.22.01.jpg Inked0601_LI.jpg InkedNeck_LI.jpg IMG_0738.jpg

Last edited:

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THREADHIJACK THREADHIJACK

#METOO #METOO !!!!! I got rear-ended by an Amtrack doing 78mph......don't ask. C4-5-6-7-T1 fuse, broke my hip to put my leg back together, lacerated liver, broke both shoulders, broke L thumb, concussion--broke my helmet.

I spent several months in the hospital, stroke rehab center, assisted living for a while, a year in a wheelchair learning to walk and when I got home my friends had that T-shirt waiting for me!

View attachment 155390 View attachment 155391

View attachment 155392

View attachment 155393
OUCH!!1 And great friends who have a awesome sense of humor that I bet matches yours! By the looks of it, you and I, along with several other members are lucky to be here and share these stories. We are also providing a valuable service to the medical community by pushing them to their limits and beyond to keep us up and walking lol.

Broke helmet too, my friends used to bust my balls about spending so much on helmets and replacing them when the date was up. With racing you had no other option and it definitely save my life. I had issues with bruising of the brain or brain slosh as I called it. I have seen too many friends with permanent damage from not wearing a helmet and some of these were from just going for a quick spin on their quad around their own property and it ended up being life changing for all involved

Last edited:

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OUCH!!1 And great friends who have a awesome sense of humor that I bet matches yours! By the looks of it, you and I, along with several other members are lucky to be here and share these stories. We are also providing a valuable service to the medical community by pushing them to their limits and beyond to keep us up and walking lol.

No joke. My neurosurgeon had been in practice for 13 years and only done the neck surgery 3 times. 2 of them the people died from other injuries and the third was paralyzed from the waist down but he saved the waist to neck function. Here I am walking around like normal but scaring the hell out of people at the airport when I go thru!! :D

BTW helmets save lives. Look how far it broke. The train had a snowplow on the front.

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

OP
OP
B

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No joke. My neurosurgeon had been in practice for 13 years and only done the neck surgery 3 times. 2 of them the people died from other injuries and the third was paralyzed from the waist down but he saved the waist to neck function. Here I am walking around like normal but scaring the hell out of people at the airport when I go thru!! :D

BTW helmets save lives. Look how far it broke. The train had a snowplow on the front.

View attachment 155405

View attachment 155406

Not to be “that guy”- but how does it work w/ your insurance when you seem to be admittedly riding a dirt bike illegally & got in path of an Amtrak train!?!?! Reason I ask is I had a friend growing up who got hit by a lady while on his sport bike & he wound up fighting in court for damages since the lady’s insurance co. Argued she was no more than 50% at fault due to him riding “recklessly” & this was on the street.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to be “that guy”- but how does it work w/ your insurance when you seem to be admittedly riding a dirt bike illegally & got in path of an Amtrak train!?!?!

Oh, believe me, you aren't that guy, I AM THAT GUY!!! :D:D:D:D

There was no question of liability, it was me, me, me. There were 144 people on the train so there was going to be loss of use for all of them for roughly 2 hours. I guess they figured being hit by the train was more of a lesson than overexposing my $100k limits I had. We have done the same thing for years, we live in a small town and we take the side of the tracks out to a rock quarry to ride and I simply wasn't paying attention when a train came from behind. My buddies all moved away I just made this little jump and veered to close to the tracks and with the snowplow he got me!

When I woke up I was so out of it. I knew what had happened but I was knocked silly of course. My buddies were all standing around me and I remember the engineer walking up to me laying on the ground and he had this long silver/grey hair parted down the middle with sun glasses on and I remember thinking. OMG Michael McDonlad was driving the train..... o_O

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am with you 100% on the helmet saving lives. Look how many racers are wearing the HANS Device. When I had my accident and real good friend of mine worked at the local Honda/Suzuki dealership and he actually spoke to a representative from Bell helmets and they offered to buy back my helmet or replace it with a new one free of charge. Mine was a full face and was completely shattered from the center of my mouth going back to the right upper side of my head and the crack finished at the center of the back of the helmet. They wanted it for research which I was more than happy to give it to them for and followed up roughly every 2 weeks to see how I was progressing. They were really interested in that if anything could or would have helped me helmet wise with the accident.

Over the years as thing fused I was able to have some of the hardware/instrumentation removed, once you see it out of your body you wonder, why couldn`t they file down the threads of the bolts instead of leaving them like that to shred your muscles and um fat. There is a reason, it`s involved and detailed.

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8494.JPG

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, believe me, you aren't that guy, I AM THAT GUY!!! :D:D:D:D

There was no question of liability, it was me, me, me. There were 144 people on the train so there was going to be loss of use for all of them for roughly 2 hours. I guess they figured being hit by the train was more of a lesson than overexposing my $100k limits I had. We have done the same thing for years, we live in a small town and we take the side of the tracks out to a rock quarry to ride and I simply wasn't paying attention when a train came from behind. My buddies all moved away I just made this little jump and veered to close to the tracks and with the snowplow he got me!

When I woke up I was so out of it. I knew what had happened but I was knocked silly of course. My buddies were all standing around me and I remember the engineer walking up to me laying on the ground and he had this long silver/grey hair parted down the middle with sun glasses on and I remember thinking. OMG Michael McDonlad was driving the train..... o_O

Grew up the same way here in NJ, Now if you get caught riding along the tracks by the local, State or Conrail Police you can kiss your ride goodbye and still have to go to court and pay a fine and fees and watch your ride go off for auction or passed onto another State Agency