Transmission gauge not moving.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed today my transmission gauge stayed on c for the twenty minute ride to work. It was running fine. I swear that the gauge is usually half way in the gauge. Any one else have this issue. Thanks.

OP
OP
J

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, it was in the twenties this morning, going home it was low forties. I will keep an eye on it.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, it was in the twenties this morning, going home it was low forties. I will keep an eye on it.

20 degree temps will make it take much longer to warm up. Example on my Power Stroke the trans temp would reach 180-190 in the summer on a 10 mile drive to work in the summer. In the winter the same drive it would only reach 130-140

robbcwz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jtnuge: Some random observations since you originated the thread.

1. From cold on a 36-deg morning running 75+ on the freeway the gage barely moved from a small bar at the C-end. However, when I exited the freeway, the bar rose into the normal (almost 1/2 way) range within minutes - almost as if the thermostat had finally opened.
2. Similar 36-deg morning running on local/city streets it took about 20-min to slowly progress into the normal range, or about 2x as long as usual.
3. Yesterday at 50-deg, it acted normally.

Nothing scientific, but I am assuming the freeway at low temp provided more than enough natural cooling for the trans. Not sure where the temp sensor is located but if it is on the trans cooler outlet then it would help explain the delayed readings.

OP
OP
J

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks robbcwz, the other day mine was acting normal, then back to taking its time again. This will be my first winter with this truck, im use to the gauge moving. Just got the truck in April. Will keep an eye on it.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine never gets up to temp unless I go on extended drives. It takes a long time for it to even start getting close to operating temp.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some data and pics on Trans temp guage

First pic was at start up, then +10 mins (about 5 miles), and final one +20 mins (about 10 miles). Normal urban and highway driving to work. I do not recall ever seeing it much higher than what is shown at +20 minutes even on longer drives.

Attachments

• Start.jpg
    Start.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 10 min.jpg
    10 min.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20 min.jpg
    20 min.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 27