GEN 2 Transmission flush intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, I remember reading that tranny fluids have a linear relationship between operating temp and miles, the higher the operating temp of the fluid the shorter the useful life of the fluid. Just made up numbers but say, running temp of 200 would be good for 100k, running at 300 would be good for a few hundred miles, or maybe it was temp and time, not temp and miles. So, a scenario where you are dragging a 15k lb. trailer up the mountains regularly, it could be that the fluid is "smoked" as you say, and would just need to be changed, assuming no damage to the tranny internals. And, all that is assuming you are monitoring the tranny temp and miles/time. My $.02.

In the back of my mind I have wondered if some of our transmissions are perhaps under-filled from the factory, it seems that some of the engines may be arriving low on oil, just from reading on here and my experience with my truck. My transmission shifts funky sometimes (rpm's flare up shifting into 8th), I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the fluid level, if possible. Already had the reflash done.

Could be....because one of the biggest reasons for all the 8L80E tranny issues in the last gen GM trucks was actually incorrect fluid level (and type) from the factory - majority of the cases seemed like they were overfilled & it went hand in hand w/ the type/viscosity of the fluid as the tranny warmed up the excess fluid that also may/may not be wrong viscosity expands & creates an even higher level than it would have been