Transmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
it's the classic "throw cheap parts at it until lemon law threat". ford is trying to save money, period. they apparently don't give 2 sh*ts about their customers.

it's really too bad. i feel for these owners having major problems, and if i was in their shoes i'd be going and buying something else next time, for sure. if this transmission experience was mine, i certainly wouldn't want/trust the raptor at this point. every time i got in it i'd be worried about whether or not i would make it home. and i'd be throwing up a little bit in my mouth every time i thought about how much i paid for the thing.

Of course they’re trying to save money, Ford is a business, not a charity. Mechanics don’t order cheapest / cheaper parts first if there’s a more suspected failed part and unless you’ve really overachieved the service advisor and manager don’t cheap out on warranty fixes.

I do know that lack of confidence you speak of though, it’s no kind of fun. I am a bit mystified at the difficulty of getting parts, getting parts sign off and the time to resolution with these kinds of problems.

Admittedly, we’re only aware of 2 or 3 of these issues and we’re probably not paying that much attention to the regular F150’s using the same transmission. Also, we are only a small subset of the customer base.

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course they’re trying to save money, Ford is a business, not a charity. Mechanics don’t order cheapest / cheaper parts first if there’s a more suspected failed part and unless you’ve really overachieved the service advisor and manager don’t cheap out on warranty fixes.

I do know that lack of confidence you speak of though, it’s no kind of fun. I am a bit mystified at the difficulty of getting parts, getting parts sign off and the time to resolution with these kinds of problems.

Admittedly, we’re only aware of 2 or 3 of these issues and we’re probably not paying that much attention to the regular F150’s using the same transmission. Also, we are only a small subset of the customer base.

when they really have no clue what is wrong, which seems to clearly be the case, they are just guessing/hoping that a bunch of smaller/cheaper parts will fix it. when they don't, ultimately, it DOES cost ford more money and it's a major hassle for the owner. my point is that cost seems to be the driving force here and that's a shame. ford should do better than that. every business has these types of challenges and when they are faced with them, good ones step up to the plate and eat the cost to do the right thing, because that IS good for business.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
When there’s no clue, they call the engineering team for guidance and they have to assist. Sometimes a mech replacement won’t help, especially for problems that have multiple paths to a resolution in the troubleshooting guide. Unfortunately, even in 2017 we have hardware and software in which components must be changed, evaluated and followed up one at a time.

You are absolutely right, a quick resolution and going the extra mile to make a quick resolution happen wins loyal customers and return customers.

I hope they get our brothers back on the road - or off the road - quickly and learn from what happened.

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while but thought maybe I should add my experience with major parts replacements. I got my 17 AG SCREW Jan 19. Build date was Nov 17. I liked just about everything about it, except to be honest the engine wasn't impressive in those first few days. It always felt like it was jerky and hesitated like it was misfiring or not getting fuel. I took it to the dealer on Day 6 and asked them to read the codes to see if there was anything there. They only found one, saying an oil pressure sensor was stuck in the open position. They weren't familiar with the code and asked to keep it over night while they checked with Ford. Sounded like no big deal to me, replace the sensor and I'm back on the road.

On Day 7 they said they hadn't heard back yet which was very unusual, normally they have an answer back in an hour.

Day 8 the reason they hadn't heard was it had been escalated to Ford Performance and they said it was very interesting because that particular code comes from a part that isn't supposed to be in a Raptor engine. The dealer had a one hour call with FP and the result was Ford wanted to air ship a whole new engine so they could have the old one back and tear it down. It was already on the way.

Fast forward 7 days and they had done the replacement. They kept it one more day to test drive it multiple times, let it cool, check for leaks etc. Then I got to take it home.

The dealer and Ford were amazing. The new engine is very different, very smooth. I did have a problem a few days later with a puddle of engine coolant on my driveway so I took it back, at lunch hour, without an appointment. I must be on their gold star service list because it was on a hoist in under 5 minutes. A coolant hose going into the transmission was leaking so they replaced the clamp. They think the hose might have stretched too much during the replacement so they have ordered a new one to be safe. Strangely when they were looking for the leak they noticed the oil pan had a few drops on it as well and ordered one of those too. I remember back in September when everyone was guessing about the Raptor delivery delays one of the first theories was they had to replace all the oil pan gaskets. Maybe I got a replacement crate engine that hadn't had the mod?

Neither of those parts are in but nothing is leaking so it's fine to drive. Should only be a few more days. I'm scheduled for the Raptor Assault course April 10 so as long as I have it 100% by then I'm happy. I know they use their own Raptors but I want to take mine out to the desert the next day to practice what they teach me and don't want to take a chance on driving it that hard with a couple of dodgy parts.

All in all it was a frustrating experience but Ford has handled it very well. Oh one more thing - when my parts come in I asked if they can turn off the fake engine sounds, the drone drives me crazy. They said sure. I know I'm in a minority but I like the natural engine sound. For me engine performance isn't measured in decibels.

"...it had been escalated to Ford Performance and they said it was very interesting because that particular code comes from a part that isn't supposed to be in a Raptor engine..." would be interested to know if it could have had a "non_Raptor" engine. There are posts about wrong engine covers and who knows...

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

"...Ford wanted to air ship a whole new engine so they could have the old one back and tear it down. It was already on the way."
Seems they gave you a new motor awfully quickly.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

Since the last update (9 days ago), I finally had some activity yesterday.

Still waiting on B/O Speed Sensor, but the dealer moved forward and replaced the module yesterday. After about 8 miles the transmission went back to it's original fault (only shift in manual). At this point the dealer has asked me what Ford Corporate had to say and I informed him they have yet to contact me since I opened my case two weeks ago. He was not happy to hear that and suggested I call as the time for being patient is over.

I called Ford Corporate and was able to get my CSM on the phone, after explaining my frustration and letting her know that I am only 6 days away from officially qualifying for CA Lemon-Law she offered some hope. Firstly she stated that last months truck payment will be reimbursed. Secondly, she said she would help try and find the B/O part from somewhere. After the phone call concluded she called back 15 minutes later and informed me my dealer would have the part by this Friday.

As I know this part may not fix my problem I called the dealer back to give him the info I was given. He said his transmission tech will be kept available for installation and testing on Friday. I then asked what if this part does not work. The dealer and I both agreed that the next step should be one of two things. Brand new transmission or Buy-Back of the truck. I will post an update Friday evening.

Sorry for ya and your problems! It is bad enough that your truck has problems, but Ford is worse. This truck is supposed to be one of their Premier Vehicles! When there is a failure this bad and taking this long of head and ass scratching, Ford should be very proactive in contacting and helping you! I would be not call back, let the time pass, and give them the truck back. Course, then you are back in the looooong waiting game. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An engine swap for a new vehicle. F-that. That's absured. If true. Not sure how something like that could happen.

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how a lot of things have happened to these trucks but they have. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a regular ecoboost ended up in a Raptor. The thread from the guy that visited the plant was interesting. I hope they get your issues resolved quickly and throw a bunch of extras in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dkriplean

Reaction score
"...Ford wanted to air ship a whole new engine so they could have the old one back and tear it down. It was already on the way."
Seems they gave you a new motor awfully quickly.

This is very troubling if it truly was a regular 3.5 installed. Is there some sort of markings on the engines from Ford Performance to differentiate it as a high performance engine? I know they dont have signature blocks like the niche engines for the GT500 but there has to be some way to verify I would think. Any ideas?

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is very troubling if it truly was a regular 3.5 installed. Is there some sort of markings on the engines from Ford Performance to differentiate it as a high performance engine? I know they dont have signature blocks like the niche engines for the GT500 but there has to be some way to verify I would think. Any ideas?

I'm interested in knowing how to tell the two apart also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk