Transmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an update on my tranny as well. The solenoid that the dealership ordered was installed and it didn't solve the problem and they don't know how to fix it. They said they're working with Ford and hope to resolve this issue soon. I asked and they told me the problem is that the transmission bangs into gear when shifted into Reverse. They said they're able to get it to stop doing that (I didn't ask how), but that the problem reoccurs once the vehicle is switched off and restarted. I was all set to fly down tomorrow and pick it up, but now my plans are on hold. :(

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just hung up the phone with local dealer.

Update for the day is they cannot get the transmission to stay working properly. They have tried a few different things but ultimately after driving for a short period of time it aways goes back to only working in manual mode. He said that all the data from the last two days has been sent back to Fords engineers and they should hear something back tomorrow.

The situation sucks but it's a bit out of my hands right now. I'm probably more patient about things like this than I should be. I won't have another update until Monday as I am taking my trusty G1 and KTM out to the desert for the weekend. I'll probably take them up on their offer to pick up a loaner even though I really don't need it. How does that work? Pick any car or does each dealer have a pre-set handful on hand for that purpose?

Loaners from dealerships are typically similar model vehicles unless you want something specific. I don't think it would hurt to email/send a letter to Ford Performance on your problems but you're doing the right thing by letting the dealer work this out. Maybe good to understand your lemon laws for your state as well? Sorry to hear about this though. Total bummer. I'm hoping for the best possible outcome for you brother.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Loaners from dealerships are typically similar model vehicles unless you want something specific. I don't think it would hurt to email/send a letter to Ford Performance on your problems but you're doing the right thing by letting the dealer work this out. Maybe good to understand your lemon laws for your state as well? Sorry to hear about this though. Total bummer. I'm hoping for the best possible outcome for you brother.

Yup.

got a loaded F150 as a loaner when my Wifes explorer sport went in for a bad head(under warranty). Sounds like his dealer is more willing than mine was to give him a loaner.

Hope it's nothing too/easy to fix. Good way to ruin your mood/outlook on a truck you just bought.

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont forget a copy of your insurance info and license... Both usually required for loaners. Good luck with the trans!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update. In addition to the solenoid not being the cause of the problems with my truck's transmission, they also found out that it had a faulty sensor so that's on emergency order. And the dealership said they're now in direct contact with the engineers at Ford to try to find out why the truck slams into reverse. Hopefully this will all get sorted out quickly.

OP
OP
u0104940

u0104940

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the dealer called with an update over the weekend. Ford engineers are having them replace a Speed Sensor located inside the transmission. My dealer does not have the part in stock and it needs to be shipped to them. Should have more info Monday or Tuesday.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the dealer called with an update over the weekend. Ford engineers are having them replace a Speed Sensor located inside the transmission. My dealer does not have the part in stock and it needs to be shipped to them. Should have more info Monday or Tuesday.

Good luck brother. Keep us posted. I have to think this 1st gen engine will have its share of 1st year issues. Lets all hope Ford Performance jumps on each and every one of them and gets them worked out quickly.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One step closer. Here's to hoping that fixes it and you get it back soon.