Transmission Cooler Supply Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xtela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inlet is on top. Outlet is on the bottom.

Attachments

• Screenshot (132).png
    Screenshot (132).png
    282.6 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inlet is on top. Outlet is on the bottom.
The inlet is on the bottom (passenger side). Outlet is on the top (driver's side).

Disconnected the top hose to drain the transmission and blew oil all over the place as it was pumping out of the cooler. Hell of a mess to clean up.

xtela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the service manual. Arrows indicate flow direction.
Screenshot (133).png

"2014 F-150 Workshop Manual
Located inside the transmission case is a thermal bypass valve. The thermal bypass is used to route fluid to the cooler when operating temperatures increase, or to return fluid directly to the transmission lube circuit. When the transmission fluid temperature is below 185°F (85°C) no fluid is routed to the cooler."
Screenshot (134).png
Perhaps @FordTechOne can explain this. The only thing I can think of is that when in thermal bypass there is back flow through the cooler.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know the oil temp at the time. Most likely less than 185 F. Here forthwith I will connect both sides to go into the bucket.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From the service manual. Arrows indicate flow direction.
View attachment 319179

"2014 F-150 Workshop Manual
Located inside the transmission case is a thermal bypass valve. The thermal bypass is used to route fluid to the cooler when operating temperatures increase, or to return fluid directly to the transmission lube circuit. When the transmission fluid temperature is below 185°F (85°C) no fluid is routed to the cooler."
View attachment 319181
Perhaps @FordTechOne can explain this. The only thing I can think of is that when in thermal bypass there is back flow through the cooler.
The thermal bypass prevents fluid from flowing to the cooler by redirecting it back to the transmission internally. When temperatures reach 185, it opens to allow fluid flow to the cooler.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thermal bypass prevents fluid from flowing to the cooler by redirecting it back to the transmission internally. When temperatures reach 185, it opens to allow fluid flow to the cooler.
Thanks for the info.

I know which port of the oil cooler to route to the bucket to drain the pan next time to avoid the hellish mess that occured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter