Transfer case to tranny coupling leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highroller60

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 2010 Raptor 5.4 that I purchased new. It has 116,000 miles on it. Yesterday when out to go to the store and noticed a 12" wet spot on the concrete under my truck. After further inspection I found a drip of what smells like tranny fluid on the lower bolt, that connects the tranny to the transfer case. I put a socket on the bolts and found the lowers where not loose but not exactly very tight either. I tweaked them about an 1/8 to a 1/4" turn. I then cleaned the area with brake cleaner, too let me know if it continues to leak, after I drive it a few miles, so far so good, doesn't look to be leaking. But it makes me think the output shaft transmission seal or input shaft seal of the transfer case maybe be bad. Should the coupling between the tranny and transfer case have fluid in this area?

Thanks

Highroller60

OP
OP
H

Highroller60

Reaction score
Well glad I did further investigation on the leak before pulling the transfer case. Turns out the leak wasn't the transfer case or trans seals it was the bulk head fitting, it took all of an hour to replace.