trans. temp warning @ sustained high speeds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricEst1978

Reaction score
The following scenario is a fictional/hypothetical scenario and his being used for educational purposes.

Once upon a time, a man was driving his Gen 2 raptor from Dallas to Austin one weekend. During the drive, our noble hero was blessed with a few sections of wide open road, with very few other vehicles in sight. If our hero had the wind at his back, and managed to sustain speeds nearing 100mph, for a period of 10-15 minutes, would it be normal for the vehicle to peg the transmission temp gauge and throw a warning, before dropping back down to the median range fairly quickly following deceleration, when the vehicle was allowed to resume a cruising speed of 80'ish mph?

Thanks in advance for reading and responding to this riveting tale.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had PLENTY of high speed runs for sustained periods of time and no warnings, that is weird. Were you er' they holding it in a lower gear by chance?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has the transmission been serviced (drain/refill) at any point to your knowledge? These transmissions are very sensitive to the correct fluid level. If the dealer/shop overfilled it you’ll have symptoms of overheating under load and possible fluid venting.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Your here should def. get it checked out. Best I can do is compare a sustained 90-95mph for about 45 minutes. It’s what the DPS trooper were doing, and everyone else around them, so if you were under 85, you were getting the stink eye. No problems to report.

My money is with @FordTechOne ; previous service or the dreaded flush...