Trading in Gen 2 - do you strip exterior mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to trade my 2020. I put the Off-road Alliance triple bezel fog light bracket on and wired those to the auxiliary switches. I also put some lights below the rear bumper for backing up and also wired to the switches.

Would y’all remove those and sell separately? Or install what I possibly could on the new vehicle? I know dealer won’t give me anything extra for them.

Thank you. I’m sad.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to trade my 2020. I put the Off-road Alliance triple bezel fog light bracket on and wired those to the auxiliary switches. I also put some lights below the rear bumper for backing up and also wired to the switches.

Would y’all remove those and sell separately? Or install what I possibly could on the new vehicle? I know dealer won’t give me anything extra for them.

Thank you. I’m sad.
All comes down to time vs value. You're correct in not getting extra for them. If you take them off, they are typically easy to resale if you're willing to take the time to post and ship. I have gone both ways depending on the resale value of the items and the time needed to uninstall the mods. As long as the dealer doesn't specifically point items out as a part of their equation I remove them. The only time I had a dealer want an item was a camper shell on a GMC 2500 and they gave me $2k extra for it.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I removed my Off-road Alliance triple bezel fogs when I traded my 2017 and installed them on my 2020. I also had aftermarket wheels on my 2017. I asked the dealer if he wanted the stock wheels or aftermarket on the truck when I traded it. He said he didn't care so that saved me about $100 not having to swap my tires back to the stock wheels. Then I sold the stock wheels on FB Marketplace.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As close to stock as you can is best for trade in. I just stripped down a Tundra with $10,000 in mods and recouped about $4,000 of it on eBay.

WireNutz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take off as much as I can and keep it for the next truck if it will fit. Or sell it and recoup some of my $$$ for mods to use on the next truck lol.

willwwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scored all my aftermarket stuff from a guy treading his in, benefitted both him and I!
Never understood why, especially in the raptor world, why a dealer cannot see value in a truck with bolt on mods as being worth more!