Trade in value drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have noticed some pretty attractive pricing on the gen2 Raptors recently, seems like 50k can buy a very nice one

I feel like the Gen 2 is going to appeal to those who would have otherwise gotten a new Lariat, or those that are more interested in off road over luxury, tech, or anything else. I have a hard time seeing people that had their heart set on a Gen 3 just settling, particularly since Gen 3 prices should come down as well.

For the people already in a Gen 2 looking to move to a Gen 3, which might be me, seems like it's best to just wait till the ratio between new and trade gets back to normal, which should be soon.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see plenty of those around now... Dealers still think they're worth gold, but that's changing. Folks aren't buying stuff at 2021/22 numbers with interest rates climbing.
Dealer by me who is known for its markups probably has 10-15 nicely equipped broncos all Over the lot. Hope they die with them!

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see plenty of those around now... Dealers still think they're worth gold, but that's changing. Folks aren't buying stuff at 2021/22 numbers with interest rates climbing.
Sure, there are run of the mile ones, but if you want to order one, its been damn near impossible. MY23 orders are now delayed until end of March, and if you want a Wildtrak, or anything with the Sasquatch/hard roof, you've been pretty much already booted from MY23 to MY24.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
12 months ago my 2019 802A Performance Blue truck was worth 64K on trade. 2 months ago it was down to 57K and as of today 52K. Sad because the truck I ordered 14 months ago is expected to be delivered in 3 days leaving me with a tough decision. I just posted the truck on Autotrader but not sure I will be able to move fast enough now.

Any suggestions on where to advertise besides auto trader?

Thanks
lol...duh....we all knew the bubble was going to burst.....looks like you tried to sell 6 months too late.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol...duh....we all knew the bubble was going to burst.....looks like you tried to sell 6 months too late.
This is probably not a popular take, but it is spot on. These crazy high prices for used Gen 2s couldn't last forever. Seems some people held on too long. Lesson is, when the price is high, sell. If you wait, then you aren't going to be happy. But hey, you have a Gen 2 Raptor, which is a very nice truck.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is probably not a popular take, but it is spot on. These crazy high prices for used Gen 2s couldn't last forever. Seems some people held on too long. Lesson is, when the price is high, sell. If you wait, then you aren't going to be happy. But hey, you have a Gen 2 Raptor, which is a very nice truck.

It's surprising only in the sense that Ford was stating that we were never going to return to the days where dealerships had a lot full of inventory. Things would be a lot more like the Tesla model where prices were set at MSRP and you would special order everything, even when there are no more waiting lists and supply chain shortages. If those statements hadn't been made, then absolutely, this bubble burst would be completely expected.

As it stands, clearly used prices are dropping faster than new, but I suspect dealers will come off their high prices in negotiations, same as they always did. Not too hard to find dealer inventory now and customers can more easily shop for the best deal. What I'm not sure about is whether Ford still plans on having reduced inventories and primarily sell through special orders, but the market just slowed down faster than they projected. I would not be surprised if trade values continue to drop and you start seeing more new Raptors sell below MSRP. I also would be surprised if trade values stabilize quickly, maybe go up again slightly, along with Raptors at MSRP and slightly above if Ford decides to slow down production to meet demand.

To be clear, the days where you could sell used for over the price you bought it were never going to last.