Trade 2020 Raptor for 2023 Tundra TRD Pro?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5K over MSRP for a Toyota? My suggestion is to buy a wireless carplay box for your Gen2, they can be had for like $60-70. That will give you some new tech to hold you over. Then buy a Cobb or MPT Tune for your Raptor and it will feel like a brand new truck. I am not kidding, the performance is like night and day. You can easily add 75 HP just from a tune on 93 octane and the throttle response and shifts are amazing.

Last edited:

Whitepony04

Reaction score
Daughter has a Tacoma TRD Pro. While not the same as a Tundra, the Pro package is similar. I find it basic and bland. But it comes down to personal preference. Either move to a Gen 3, keep the Gen 2 and mod it or start peeing sitting down.
Agree. I traded my trd off road with eibachs for my raptor. The Tacoma is a great little truck but not even on the same planet as the raptor.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Toyota Still use drum brakes?? Last I heard their official reason for still using drum brakes is "they are shielded from mud,snow,rain so in the off roading environment they work better"

Funny then why disk in front??

Not sure what "cabin tech" the OP is referring to, but in general the Tacoma has not had any technical/mechanical updates for 20 something years.

The newest I have been in is around 2020 so if something has changed I may not know. But the difference between a 2005 and a 2020 is basically 0.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It felt quick and had great power, but even with all that torque from the Hybrid engine it still felt different than the Raptor.

Drive modes: Eco, Normal, Sport
2H, 4H, 4L (no 4A like my raptor)
In 4L - it has Mud, Snow, Rock, Mogul drive modes

Honestly, if I was still in my 2016 Limited, I would trade it for the Tundra without a second of hesitation.
The resounding question in this thread has been…“why?”

You’ve had 3 F-Series and said you liked them. You own a special, class of one version of a best in class pickup.

Meanwhile, the Tundra is exists for no other purpose than to steal market share from the segment leaders. It’s a brand new product that debuted with worst in class performance and metrics. No Pro Power Onboard like the F-150, and as you pointed out no automatic 4WD on any trim. The interior is not only smaller than the previous generation tundra, but worst in class as well. Being bored is a terrible reason to downgrade. Why are you even considering it?
When I first drove my Raptor, I loved it. 3 years later, I just thought maybe I was bored with it and have looked at other options.

When I first drove the TRD Pro, I liked it.

That's when I left the dealer and told him "I'd think about it".
The 2023 T-uRd pRo is $71,640 plus the $5k dealer markup, so $76,640. A 2023 Raptor is $76,775. I can’t imagine overpaying for a a crappy Japanese sh!tbox when you could buy a 2023 Raptor for the same money.

Last edited:

daytona1783

Reaction score
I drove a Capstone and 1792 version of the newest Tundra. I liked them both…a lot. The interiors were super nice and the tech was finally updated. The drivetrain was very smooth and quick.

The reason I ultimately bought the Gen 2 Raptor was because my 2020 was a last year model run and I have always wanted a Raptor. I’ve owned 3 F150s, all high end trims and I will eventually either purchase a 2024 F-150 Limited or a Tundra Capstone. I refuse to deal with the new model problems and to me it’s worth the extra year or two wait for that to be worked out.

Ultimately, do what you want and makes you happy. None of us are going to be able to convince you otherwise. Plus, rebates and 0% financing are coming so wait it out. These dealers are not moving new cars, and that’s straight from my local managers mouth.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The resounding question in this thread has been…“why?”

You’ve had 3 F-Series and said you liked them. You own a special, class of one version of a best in class pickup.

Meanwhile, the Tundra is exists for no other purpose than to steal market share from the segment leaders. It’s a brand new product that debuted with worst in class performance and metrics. No Pro Power Onboard like the F-150, and as you pointed out no automatic 4WD on any trim. The interior is not only smaller than the previous generation tundra, but worst in class as well. Being bored is a terrible reason to downgrade. Why are you even considering it?

The 2023 T-uRd pRo is $71,640 plus the $5k dealer markup, so $76,640. A 2023 Raptor is $76,775. I can’t imagine overpaying for a a crappy Japanese sh!tbox when you could buy a 2023 Raptor for the same money.
So, I have to ask, if you feel this way why do you love Toyotas so much??! :pimp:

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What I would give to get rid of my sunroof. I think you have will have less issues with the Toyota than the Ford. I think it would last longer and they have come a LONG ways in terms of looks. Three years newer so there is that. Inside you mentioned is better. If you're not using the Raptor for what it's intended for then that doesn't matter. I have a friend who went from a Dodge to a Toy and he was happy. I think the correct answer is Raptor Gen3.