Towing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a 2011 Screw with the towing package, and I have a regular hitch rated to 10000 pounds. This weekend, I need to get my 96 full size Bronco up to Massachusetts. The Bronco weighs about 6050 and the trailer i was going to use is about 2210. That puts it over the max towing capacity by about 260 pounds and that's without me or anything else I have in there. I've seen other posts where guys have towed way more than the max capacity, I was just hoping to get some insight on whether or not this is worth even attempting.

My truck is stock so what would I have to worry about if I attempted this other than being over the max weight?

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd find another way to transport it. Ford designated a lower towing capacity on the raptors for a reason.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sketchy man... doesn't seem worth it. I tow a TJ and car hauler frequently with no problem - but that's a bit lighter than you're talking. I'm sitting at around 1,500 pound trailer and a 4,000 pound Jeep.

OP
OP
M

Matt C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, some things on the internet you can't unsee! Yeah like i said in the initial post i have read the posts on here, I just needed further validation to not do it. I don't need to mess my truck up or something worse. I'll figure something else out. Thanks guys.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lol, some things on the internet you can't unsee! Yeah like i said in the initial post i have read the posts on here, I just needed further validation to not do it. I don't need to mess my truck up or something worse. I'll figure something else out. Thanks guys.

Cheers to you for being a good sport!!! And that's the right decision you have made. Well done.....

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you really think Ford rated it for 8k lbs towing with ZERO margin of safety? And that if you tow AT the 8k limit that you're going to destroy or wreck the truck?

Now I'm not going to recommend towing above the 8k limit and say do it all the time, but I will say at the rating or below, have at it, it's STILL a truck, it's not a fragile queen that can't tow. If you're just a couple hundred lbs over, I wouldn't sweat it.

I tow ~7500 lbs with my truck all the time, it handles it just fine. I've even towed ~10,000 lbs one time with my truck. Again I don't recommend it, but I was in a bit of a crunch and did it, and the truck did just fine. I could definitely feel the 10k back there but it was manageable. At 7500 lbs it handles it just fine.

If you've got 8k and a little change to tow, personally I'd do it. But I tow all the time and I'm comfortable with that weight. If you've never towed before or only do really light stuff, it may be a bit much for a first timer or novice, but otherwise.....the truck is rated for 8k, it'll handle 8k just fine, and if it's a little over, you're not going to feel a difference between 8000 and 8250.

Enclosed-02.jpg

Cecil-01.jpg

8501.jpg

Patio05.jpg

Reptar Hyde.jpg