Torsen front axle problems ! anyone else ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's the wire that leads from the solenoid to the vacuum system. I think it's the IWE solenoid (solenoid vacuum valve). Ford once thought it was the wiring, but didn't know which wire. Then they gave up on that idea. After further failed attempts and more new parts, they figured something wasn't right with the command to activate 4wd. They overlaid a wiring harness with a new wiring harness and... tada, everything was fixed. So they replaced the harness.

Someone posted this on another FRF thread:

The vacuum from IWE module holds the diapham against return spring until the driver switches to 4wd. At which point the IWE solenoid changes state and the vacuum is removed. The spring in the IWE presses the diaphram the opposite direction while engaging the cv shafts to the hubs. This movement pulls unfiltered air and everything else into the IWE.. Which in time degrades the IWE diaphram and causes grinding and eventually loss of 4wd.. Once the diaphram is compromised, the crap travels up the vacuum line and trashes the IWE solenoid..

8860d1357620876t-iwe-vacuum-system-upgrades-iwe.jpg

That was me, I believe...

Yes, there is a connector on the IWE solenoid that can rub on the cluster cluck of stuff on that side and will short to ground causing issues..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got home. IWE solenoid connector looked good so I unhooked the vacuum line from the solenoid and tried it. Still pops out under load. This is with a brand new driver side axle and IWE. The other side was checked and looked fine. The popping/banging is the left front.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't purchased an extended warranty on a vehicle in over 20 years. I did buy the extra warranty on my Raptor. It looks like I might need it!!

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
$$$ is in the back... RCV axles for me.

If they keep breaking.... well RCV shouldnt of put "no questions asked" guarantee... they will be hearing from me alot LOL

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAR - does it make noise while turning at any radius, or just very sharp turns?

I've had three Ford Expeditions with 4wd and had no problems turning, but my Raptor will not make tight turns in 4wd. I have to switch to 2wd to pull into a parking spot or my garage. Is this normal?

Just tight turns in 4. I'll suggest the wire. Thanks a lot for posting this. I was seriously considering lemon lawing it. They told me today that the ford hotline said it was normal. This is after their tech came out and said it was not normal. I guess normal=we can't figure it out.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just tight turns in 4. I'll suggest the wire. Thanks a lot for posting this. I was seriously considering lemon lawing it. They told me today that the ford hotline said it was normal. This is after their tech came out and said it was not normal. I guess normal=we can't figure it out.

The torsen makes it difficult to do tight turns in 4 hi, even in snow. You can feel the chatter.

Yukon Joe
Buffalo Run Support Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=364119

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
{snip} I've had three Ford Expeditions with 4wd and had no problems turning, but my Raptor will not make tight turns in 4wd. I have to switch to 2wd to pull into a parking spot or my garage. Is this normal?

Just tight turns in 4.

The torsen makes it difficult to do tight turns in 4 hi, even in snow. You can feel the chatter.

Tight turns with 4WD and a traction aid in the front almost always binds up the system, possibly giving popping, clunking, etc. This is not unusual. The way to get around it is not use 4WD to make tight turns or to swap the Torsen out for a selectable locker (ARB, E-locker) and keep it unlocked for tight turns.

metroman

Reaction score
I have been battling this problem from day one with my 2012 Raptor. I have replaced the hubs and accuators three times. I just put new ones on driver side this weekend. On my first hill climb I get the loud pop bang noise and my front drivers side wheel stops spinning. The IWE gears have nuked before. The IWE gears are disengaging under heavy power or load. This truck has the Torsen diff. My 2011 Raptor (yes I have two because one is always broke) does not have a Torsen diff. It two had this same problem but only once.

Vac system is not the problem. I have tested several times by disconnecting vac system and same problem still happens. The problem is the tiny crappy gears and crappy plastic parts in the IWE system. The accuators are a total F'ing joke.

I may look closely at disabling the hubs with the new larger gear as suggested above so they are always locked and just shift in 4WD via transfer case.

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

Here is a video of my silver 2012 Raptor just as the front hub completely died.

Raptor Hub Problem - YouTube

Problem is still there even with all new parts.

If you have the fix or what to talk about it email me at seanlapg(at)me.com

Ford has released update hubs and accuators but I just installed those a few days ago and this exact same problem happened on my first hill climb.

Dear Ford- I am going to make more videos of this happening and post them EVERYWHERE. Fix this shit!