Torsen front axle problems ! anyone else ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ITSALLGOOD

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knock, Knock ?

Hrm, my 2012 doesn't do this except for when I DID break the front axle. I'd be concerned.

So, do tell what the problem was please.....? and do you still have the bang bang noise with your new axle assembly ?:gr_guns:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, do tell what the problem was please.....? and do you still have the bang bang noise with your new axle assembly ?:gr_guns:
Punching it up a sand dune the front axle said PING!!!! CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK!!! And then I had no front wheel drive.
Here's the link: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/dead-cv-axle-something-16497/

I do not get the same with my new axle, nor did I get it prior to the breakage. It was very loud and distinct - nearly as loud as my cursing just after it happened.

It was 100% covered under warranty - no questions asked.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
Oh lucky you. Snapped a few cv shafts and gear assemblies...
Was told to never come to the same dealership again because they would let ford canada know about my customer abuse hahhahahahahahah

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got the truck at the dealer today checking out the front end. They can’t find any issue with it, except they did note that my steering rack is loose again. They have checked codes and driven it around. Had it on the rack and can not find any problems with it. I know this only happens under a load. Any ideas on what to have them check??

Here is how I described it to them:
“Like I said on the phone, the 4x4 system is making noise only when it’s under load. I would be going down a snowy road at 20 MPH, constant grad, straight section of the road, constant foot pedal position, constant snow. About every 25 seconds or so, I heard a knock from the front end / middle. I took it out of 4 wheel, and it goes away. I was in offroad mode and in sport mode. “

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did they do a leak down test of IWE hub assemblies? Check the IWE solenoid? There are two check valves also that could be hosed. They might physically have to check for tooth wear in the IWE.

I am bringing one IWE just in case.. It is maybe a 30 min swap out (hour in the snow and cold).. You might grab one if they have it in stock.

-Greg

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
ok so no one ever answered me. the only hub ive seen that arent OEM are from greg foutz....
he had pics of his "full floating hubs" on the raptor pre runner they are building.. its a 2012 so it's got a torsen front diff as well.....

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The way to fix this is to get rid of spring and diaphragm all together.. Replace the moving gear ring (which is less than 1/4" ) with a solid machined 2" gear ring to solidly lock the cv axles to the hub. And just use the transfer case to shift in and out of 4wd. I am waiting to get some trashed IWE and see what I can come up with..

-Greg

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The way to fix this is to get rid of spring and diaphragm all together.. Replace the moving gear ring (which is less than 1/4" ) with a solid machined 2" gear ring to solidly lock the cv axles to the hub. And just use the transfer case to shift in and out of 4wd. I am waiting to get some trashed IWE and see what I can come up with..

-Greg

If it's only a 1/4", you may not have to wait long...

Yukon Joe
Delta Force
Snoball500 Support Raptor