GEN 1 To tune or not to tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KTag98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 6.2 raptor. 212k miles relatively new to me, and I’m new to late model trucks.

okay, so I’m aware that a good 91 tune would really wake the truck up, however. Being at 212k has me nervous about pushing the motor/trans beyond its originally designed tune. Am I just being paranoid, or is there really a reliability concern with running a tune on higher mileage trucks?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can get Tunes in many different flavors.
Meaning you can get Performance, Street, Tow and Economy, in 89, 91 and 93 octanes.
All the Tuning Vendors offer package deals with at least one to three Tunes with the SCT device or My Calibrator.
You have JDM, 5 Star and Livernois.

Last edited:

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your engine and trans are in good shape I wouldn’t hesitate to get a good tune. Tunes don’t add a lot of hp so won’t really put more stress on your drivetrain. The trans tuning might actually help your trans last longer as it firms up the shifts making it slip less between shifts.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd go for it... The 6.2 and 6R80 are tough cookies. A fairly mild tune shouldn't hurt anything, and at that mileage, you are probably already looking at a rebuild to timing job in the near future anyway.

OP
OP
KTag98

KTag98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go for it... The 6.2 and 6R80 are tough cookies. A fairly mild tune shouldn't hurt anything, and at that mileage, you are probably already looking at a rebuild to timing job in the near future anyway.
this thing has perfect hot oil pressure, and no weird timing anomaly’s so far, so I’m not gonna touch any internals unless something goes out of whack lol I guess I’ll count myself lucky on that front

OP
OP
KTag98

KTag98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your engine and trans are in good shape I wouldn’t hesitate to get a good tune. Tunes don’t add a lot of hp so won’t really put more stress on your drivetrain. The trans tuning might actually help your trans last longer as it firms up the shifts making it slip less between shifts.
Does anyone have any experience with VMP’s tune for the 6.2 raptor? I never hear anything said about that one

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran the 5-Star tunes on my 2010 6.2L SCAB for 8 years until I sold the truck. The truck had about 45K miles when I sold it and I left the tune on for the new owner. As mentioned above, the tunes on the NA motor do not add a lot of HP, but I also had an AFE CAI and True-Dual custom exhaust with MagnaFLow mufflers. The truck ran and sounded great with a deep V8 tone!

Get a tune from one of the reputable vendors on this site and don't look back!

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Brew City Boost. Their initial tune is a nice improvement. From there you can data log and they will improve it. 2012 with 108k when I tuned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killjoy

Reaction score
I switched from a Whipple tune to a JDM tune they did for me and it's been great. I've pushed this 2012 pretty hard for the last 8 years and I'd agree with other posters with the statement that it's a pretty strong truck and I would think just unlocking that torque band and a 91 tune would be enough to make you pretty happy!

Good luck!