To drive or to ship? OKC to SF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Definitely drive. Maybe post a thread here and meet up with FRF members at each of your stops and see if they'll take you to their local off-road spots.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys! My '18 Raptor was born yesterday according to my window sticker. Wanted to get some opinions on what you would do to get her home.

Option 1;
Take 1-3 days of vacation and Fly out to OKC (~$150) and drive back ~1600 miles. Estimating fuel cost around $250. Plus cost of food, lodging, etc.

Option 2;
Ship it back home for anywhere between $.75-$1/a mile. Possibly wait 1-3 weeks for the broker to find a carrier that can pick it up for a decent price.

I'm more willing to take Option 1 if I there are any fun stops on the way home. Otherwise I don't know if the rock chips are worth it. I've already seen Hoover dam and grand canyon. Can you guys make any suggestions of things to see on the way home? I'm willing to add up to 200 miles of detours. I have also thought about effects of long sustained highway driving on break in period. Thanks!

If you want to break your lady in, the Alpine Loop in southern Colorado is highly regarded. Look it up on YouTube. And as already mentioned, Moab is great. Check out Fins n Things and Hell's Revenge on YouTube too.

If you want to stay on pavement, Durango, Telluride, Crested Butte, and Aspen are all great places to visit. You can also take a paved road to the top of Pikes Peak. And Glenwood Canyon is one of the most incredible stretches of interstate.

pchmotoho

Reaction score
Drive it. 5 years ago I purchased a 66 GT350 from outside Austin TX and drove it home to So Cal. It was an awesome way to get to know the car (it ran flawless the whole way)

I'll probably end up ordering a Raptor in the Dallas area when the time is right (fly there, pick it up, go to a Cowboys game and drive back to LA).

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drive it... pick a couple places to stop.

Suggestions:
Red River/Taos, NM
Page, AZ (See Antelope Canyon, Horse Shoe Bend)
Las Vegas, NV (hate it but fun if you don't go every month like me)
Lake Tahoe, NV

Bring it buy Scottsdale, AZ if you want me to FORScan your ride and make it good... PS: Buy a pedal commander and bring it with you or your road trip will be less fun.

kingshredd

Reaction score
Yep, go a little north through Colorado and hit i70 and the cut over to the Loneliest highway in the county i50 to really open it up and then it's a straight shot across 80 to the home for ya. Plenty to see on that route. Enjoy!

Red One

Reaction score
Aw, hell... y'all are gonna rag my ass... and I deserve it.

A Dodge Neon.

Ya see, what happened was that it was after the Great Telecom Industry Crash, and I was taking work anywhere I could find it... and what I found was a $15/hr job halfway across town. I sold the truck that I was driving at the time ('02 Chevy 1500), and needed something that got good mileage. As it happened, a buddy of mine in CA had bought a Neon R/T new in '99, and was getting ready to sell it so he could go buy a Mazda 3. So, because the Peon (uh, Neon, I mean) was the DOHC model, had a 5 speed, and had some upgraded suspension on it, it wasn't terrible to drive. I struck a deal with my buddy, flew out to CA, and bought the car.

Yeah. So now y'all know my shame.

No shame in doing whatever it takes to survive, brother.

Sorry to thread jack, but to get back on topic, DRIVE IT!

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's not an enclosed trailer, you will probably still get rock chips. My dealer even mentioned someone driving back to Cali and got paint damage from a sand storm. I wouldn't ship it unless enclosed. When you are driving it you can avoid sitting behind semi trucks and go were the sand storms are not. If you drive smart you won't get any more rock chips than a normal highway commute to work. Unless you never drive on a highway rock chips will come with the miles.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here, let me help you...

These are some of the places you can go to on the way home to Liberal Land:

1. Grand Junction, CO - pit stop on the drive
2. Moab, UT - an incredible place; you could spend days there! (wheeling!)
3. Bryce Canyon National Park - 3 hours to stop at about 8 scenic overlooks - definitely worth looking at!
4. Zion National Park - drive through the tunnel - it's another amazing place and a great drive! Great hiking too if you want to get out of the Raptor
5. Las Vegas - I assume you've been there so you can pit stop or keep on going
6. Yosemite - I assume you've been there since you life in the SFBA but if you haven't been there in a while it's a great place

Pick from these and there are others - it all depends on what you want to see and how much time you have. It could be a trip of a lifetime depending on your interests.

we bought our Raptor in Grand Junction and drove back to Sacramento - the views in Colorado/Utah are spectacular! Although, Nevada is quite a lonely, tumbleweed drive.. LOL