Titanium Turbo shields

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In our application the turbos are clearly visible through the wheel wells and pretty open to get free air flow, so I don’t see the blankets doing a ton.

Quiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not just about keeping the heat off the realist of the engine bay - but keeping the heat in the turbo - (from the link I posted above)

A turbo blanket improves the performance of your turbocharger by keeping "the hot side hot".
In keeping the exhaust gases within the turbocharger hot, turbocharger efficiency is improved. As you may know, the hotter a gas is, the more expansive it is. Within a contained system of a specified size, the more expansive a gas is, the greater the pressure derived and thus, the greater the flow of gas to escape the containment. With this increased pressure and flow rate for a given engine RPM, the acceleration of the turbocharger's impeller is increased as compared to the same turbocharger with the engine at the same RPM but with cooler exhaust gases. This equates to faster spool up of the turbocharger, as well as greater attainable levels of boost. What a driver will experience with a turbo blanket is greater turbocharger responsiveness. The faster spool up of the turbocharger means less turbo lag and a more linear power curve.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blankets kind of seem like a waste to me unless you’re all out of the other mods like upgraded turbos, adapter plates, Downpipes, and exhaust. I had blankets on my X5M which reduced the heat in the engine bay and provided the benefit of keeping the heat in the turbo for early performance, especially with catless DPs which let heat escape easier. The drawback is that the heat will stay in the turbos after the vehicle is off and wreck the bearings. This isn't necessary an issue on the X5M because the dedicated turbo water pump runs for 5-10 min after the vehicle shuts off to cool the turbos and prevent damage. I honestly haven’t checked to see if the raptor has an auxiliary pump or if it is even necessary since it isn't a hot V turbo setup. I guess if you’re already tuned then reducing turbo life expectancy won’t matter too much anyway…send it

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No expert here, so feel free to lol, but any drawback to keeping the turbos hotter? If they need more heat, why are they liquid-cooled? Seems counter intuitive.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No expert here, so feel free to lol, but any drawback to keeping the turbos hotter? If they need more heat, why are they liquid-cooled? Seems counter intuitive.

Ideally you want the CHRA relatively cool to protect the bearings and minimize heat transfer to the charge air while keeping the turbine housing piping hot to keep responsiveness high. But after hitting peak boost at wot basically once the turbine is gonna be HOT anyway, so successive throttle inputs will provide good boost response. At the end of the day I’d rather lose a touch of response on the front end and not cook my bearings.

The best solution in my opinion is a high quality ceramic coating on the turbine housing.