Tired of the drone. Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the J pipe solution. Seems to be a complicated problem, and each car is different.

It's called a Helmholtz Resonator. Basically an empty chamber that is designed to reduce resonance in tubes with air flow moving through them.

Our stock airboxes use the Helmholtz Resonator. It's why when you put on a different intake you start to hear that whistling noise.

RV-Junke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust Drone GONE!

Helmotz resonator was correct on what the fix was...thanks! After a ton of looking around and a few calculators, I figured a 29" pipe would solve the almost un-drivable drone at 1,500 - 1,900 rpm's, specifically in 4th - 6th gear...worked out to about 45 - 60 mph.

Found a shop in Linden AMS Autowerks, Diogo is the owner to do the work...The shop is amazing, as these guys seem to know more about cars and how to fix things than anyone I have ever met...

Diogo and his crew got my "X" pipe off, and welded 2-3" Tubes 29" long...and amazingly it canceled the Drone 100%...really amazing! My wife likes to drive in the truck again!

IMG-20130712-00020 (3).jpg

IMG-20130713-00023 (2).jpg

IMG-20130713-00025 (2).jpg

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos...For those thinking there is no hope...there is! BTW, the Stainless Works Headers and Exhaust sounds even more bad-ass than before!

Here is the calculation I used:

drone Calc.JPG

RV-Junke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still No Drone... :)

Yes, on the SW Full Header with High Flow CATS, X Pipe and Dual exhaust all in 3" Thermal Black...AWESOME sound Wide Open, and an awesome grumble at idle...even better now with the resonator pipe...

Yes the pipe is capped on the end, and there is NOTHING in it...just a 3" 90 degree (short), and pipe with a cap...NO insert at all. The drone is 100% frequency that needs to be canceled.. It really is amazing how it worked.

I would so recomend this to anyone with a drone! Just figure the length you need.

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good to know about the drone as it would be my top choice for an exhaust system. How bad was the drone?

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Helmotz resonator was correct on what the fix was...thanks! After a ton of looking around and a few calculators, I figured a 29" pipe would solve the almost un-drivable drone at 1,500 - 1,900 rpm's, specifically in 4th - 6th gear...worked out to about 45 - 60 mph.

Found a shop in Linden AMS Autowerks, Diogo is the owner to do the work...The shop is amazing, as these guys seem to know more about cars and how to fix things than anyone I have ever met...

Diogo and his crew got my "X" pipe off, and welded 2-3" Tubes 29" long...and amazingly it canceled the Drone 100%...really amazing! My wife likes to drive in the truck again!

View attachment 24621

View attachment 24622

View attachment 24623

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos...For those thinking there is no hope...there is! BTW, the Stainless Works Headers and Exhaust sounds even more bad-ass than before!

Here is the calculation I used:

View attachment 24624

The thing about putting up exhaust pic's is we need video to. I like to hear what I'm looking at.