Tire chains..absolutely not, or just a precaution?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, "down south" they have signs on bridges that say "bridge may ice in cold weather"

View attachment 3923
Taken in NOLA (Louisana)

I thought it was common sense ( like most people from "the North" ), but when cold weather is not common it is not.

They are not equipped for snow, or ice down yonder. People down there lose their mind when the forecast calls for a "dusting" of snow.

Last edited:

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. Unless you have a Raptor. We get the snow and freezing mirror slick ice here too. This was in February this year.

Attachments

• Feb2010snow 060.jpg
    Feb2010snow 060.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 94

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could always get some better tires for the snow. Studdable rubber is the best on ice and snow.

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, "down south" they have signs on bridges that say "bridge may ice in cold weather"

View attachment 3923
Taken in NOLA (Louisana)

I thought it was common sense ( like most people from "the North" ), but when cold weather is not common it is not.

They are not equipped for snow, or ice down yonder. People down there lose their mind when the forecast calls for a "dusting" of snow.

Haha just caught me by surprise. Makes sense though. I guess they aren't used to it so they aren't prepared for it. Little extreme to shut down a whole city though isn't it

-Posted with my iPhone.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, not really. The South was treated to a really monumental ice storm in 1984. Ice accumulated on trees, tree limbs broke under the weight, took out power lines and power poles, and hundreds of thousands of people were without power. I live in Huntsville, AL and we got an inch to an inch and a quarter of smooth, clear ice. We were without power for the better part of three days. Over in the northwestern corner of the state (Florence and Muscle Shoals), they got six inches of ice and were down for a week - more in rural areas. The stuff was impossible to drive on. For that matter, walking on it was pretty dangerous. There was another ice storm of slightly lesser proportions 1993. An ice storm is something that you really have to experience first hand to really understand.

Last edited:

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Yeah 6.2 - when there are no facilities to put sand/salt on the roads, it seriously wreaks havoc with drivers that aren't used to ice or snow.
In the 3 years I lived in Montgomery TX, it snowed 2 or 3 times and Houston was pretty much shut down.

Banned
Reaction score
Haha not meaning sound like a **** or anything, sorry if I have. Just a foreign concept to me.

-Posted with my iPhone.