Tire chains..absolutely not, or just a precaution?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justthebest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been caught in some impressively deep stuff, and with my Wrangler DuraTracs, I was completely fine. They aren't cheap, but they will eat pretty much anything alive.

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the owners manual said not to use tire chains on the truck. Something about causing damage to the vehicle. Do not have the owners manual close as I am at work. Just wanted to bring that point up.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might carry a Set, BUT would not use them except to get moving again.
I have lived in Montana for 17+ years and then Denver for 5 years, A winch would be a better choice. just my .02

randy

Last edited:

enjkuck

Reaction score
I hunt in Montana every year and chaining up is a common occurrence. I've never had a Raptor in those conditions, but that will change in a couple of months. I plan on carrying chains for the rear. Cables will not work in rocky/snowy conditions and I don't plan on leaving the truck on the hill because I didn't have chains.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not much clearance in front, 3/4"+- tire to upper ball joint. I would not even try cable chains there. The rear looks like fair game though.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't on a Raptor period. Couldn't imagine the fender flairs taking much of a beating if something failed. Probably screw with abs, and traction control. Or rip off an ABS sensor.

"One of the nation's largest chain makers says they may disable anti-lock brakes. "ABS really becomes incapacitated when the tire chains are on because the computers that control the system don't pick up the correct sensing," said Rick Schmunck, president of Quality Tire Chain Corp. of Hillsboro, Ore."

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I might carry a Set, BUT would not use them except to get moving again.
I have lived in Montana for 17+ years and then Denver for 5 years, A winch would be a better choice. just my .02

randy

He's right about this. Never been stuck so bad I couldn't get out but, a winch is the best security. Easy to hide on the Raptor too.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Whatever you do... make sure they are on the correct wheels like this guy! Only in NC...

n39601695_31018392_4121.jpg

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's right about this. Never been stuck so bad I couldn't get out but, a winch is the best security. Easy to hide on the Raptor too.

I say winch. SDHQ makes a behind the bumper winch. I put it on myself. It fits any Warn winch because they all have similar dimensions and the same secure points.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315763058.976884.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315763058.976884.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 103
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315763080.613753.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315763080.613753.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 109