Tire advice- Stock rims/Suspention with 37's Baja TA's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
very clean i like the fenders im doing fenders here soon. im running 37 toyos on methods on top perch i trimmed the front but not the rear because i have RPG's stage 3 kit in the rear and it keeps it from slamming up into the seam. i love running 37's theres nothing better on a raptor! cant wait to see it painted man looks awesome!! :yaoface2:

OP
OP
K

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the Raptor back from Outlaw Friday! Woo Hoo!

Took it out yesterday for some Raptoring. This thing CLIMBS hills I use to get stuck on. Just put it in 4x4, off road mode, diff locked, Select shift 1st and FLOOR it! The traction is amazing; it still breaks the wheels loose but continues to climb. The mods give it clearance and keep the tires spinning. Sooo much fun!

half way up the hill climb. The Raptor stock with intake could not even make it up the very first climb. It would bottom out and you had to go slow. With the mods, top perch, and tires, I just floor it and break the tires loose (Thats how you use the BFG Projects, they are made to slip but push you forward):
WP_20121225_001_zps774dfa3f.jpg

I tried this at night and got stuck in massive ruts at the top up against a huge rock. Tried just after this picture and tractored up it, wheels spinning, soo much fun!
WP_20121225_002_zpse273927c.jpg

Behind the truck:
WP_20121225_003_zps25b8d69b.jpg

Made it to the top:

WP_20121225_008_zpsd49af9f6.jpg

WP_20121225_009_zps8e628036.jpg

WP_20121225_006_zps60f8fd25.jpg

WP_20121225_007_zpsf0f2b89b.jpg

WP_20121225_005_zps7bd0d5cb.jpg

WP_20121225_010_zps59244a06.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flat spots
I think the Project tires get flat spots because of the compound. The temperature of the air vs the ground has them settle and comform differently to the ground. Corvette tires also get these issues. If the air/ground are the same temp constantly, you probably wont get a flat spot. But if the ground is hot and the air cold, or the opposite, you will have to wait until the tires warm up to the same temp. Hope the off-balance rotational mass doesnt kill my bearings. Only notice them some mornings.

Street burnouts/tire wear
All in all, I love the 37's. They can handle a ton in the dirt.

DONT DO BURNOUTS/DRIFTING on the street, this eats up the stock wheels sidewall tread, and the project tread. Seems to be a 6k pound truck thing more than a tire thing. Street drifting/burning rubber sideways on the street= tire side knob death. 2 laps around a roundabout smoking the tires really chewed up the sidewall tread on my 37's. It was 4th of july and I wanted to celbrate my freedom :D

When not driving like an a-hole on the street, they take punishment offroad and daily driving and show no wear. Have a few small nails in the front tire. I blame other people who drive my truck next to fire-rings in the desert.... (*cough* my brother)

I have to rotate the tires soon, though I have only had the truck for about 3 months out of the last 9 months. Stupid prius....

Anyways, just an update.

Get 37's.

Last edited:

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious - it the traction of the Baja T/As that bad that you have to blast a new ditch up the hill, or was it more for the of fun driving?

...., I just floor it and break the tires loose (Thats how you use the BFG Projects, they are made to slip but push you forward):

I tried this at night and got stuck in massive ruts at the top up against a huge rock.....

WP_20121225_002_zpse273927c.jpg

I am curious - it the traction of the Baja that bad that you have to blast a new ditch up the hill, or was it more for the of fun driving?